Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
WARNING!!! This is not for the faint of heart!

1) Remove the overhead console, pull down, it is held in by snaps.

2) Remove visors (3 Torx screws)

3) Remove visor holders (1 Torx screw)

4) Remove rear grab handles/lights (screws)

5) Loosen A-Pillar covers (pull snaps), dont need to come all the way off.

6) Remove B-Pillar covers (not really necessary the headliner will bend away)

7) Remove C-Pillar covers (not really necessary the headliner will bend away)

8) Remove the rear headliner cover (pull snaps)

9) Remove the headliner, fold longwise and take out through the hatch.

10) Remove the roof brace (2 bolts)

11) Modify roof brace edge to accept wood mounting panel

12) Screw wood mounting panel to the roof brace (I used 1 screw)

13) Reinstall roof brace, using a construction adhesive on the wooded mounting panel to the rear roof brace. DO NOT USE expanding foam between the wood panel and the roof panel, it will draw the roof down!!!!!!!!!

16) Re-install the headliner and everything else.

17) Mount the DVD monitor. This is the scary part. I mis-judged the screw length and wound up "peaking" the screw point in the roof panel. $780 to repair. The best way is drill the holes in the wood panel (BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO POKE THE BIT INTO THE ROOF- USE SLOW SPEED) to mount the monitor and then take a nail and see what the mounting depth is. The headliner will compress, that was my problem, I forgot and messed up the roof panel. Each monitor has different mounting thickhness, start short then got longer until it holds.

It would have cost me $200 to have it installed. I wanted the learning experince. Luckily the damage was covered under my comprehensive insurance with $0 deductible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
sweet MOD

that looks really nice i was thinking of doing that but had no idea how to mount it. thankyou for posting this now all i have to do is convince the wife to do it. where did you run power from and did you also run a signal wire for anything??

matt

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wisconsinmagnum said:
that looks really nice i was thinking of doing that but had no idea how to mount it. thankyou for posting this now all i have to do is convince the wife to do it. where did you run power from and did you also run a signal wire for anything??

matt
There is a single cable that runs from the monitor to a in/out box. There are 2 A/V inputs on the box and 1 on the unit itself. The box requires 2 power leads (gnd/ign). I used the cig lighter for the source of the ign power(This spring I will rewire both the amps and unit from the Kenwoods remote out). Of couse Alpine came out with an in-dash 6.5" DVD Monitor/HU for $200 cheaper than I paid of the Kenwood for 2006(bastards).

The monitor also has a FM modulator, so that what ever audio you plug into the inputs can be player over even a stock radio. The only draw back is that Alpine includes only 1 IR headphone ($20 for another one).

The monitor has 2 banks of 8 super white LEDS as a dome light that interface with the dome light. I wired them to the unit itself to reduce the number of wire runs and I am going to convert all the stock dome lights to blue LEDS and it looked like a pain to replace the white LEDS in the unit.

For $2350 (list) i can tell you how to get a full blown (2 10", 2 6.5" visor and a DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Receiver system using all Alpine equiptment). Or about $950 to get a LEGAL DVD system.

Well if you have any questions or onthe Alpine line, feel free to PM me. Or post here, this way others can see it too. I usually check the site atleast 1 time a day so I will see it as a new reponse post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys that to much trouble to install a mobile video i am a certified installer for best buy. that takes to long and you have to take the whole headliner down plus you dont know the depth to drill in so you might go threw the roof.
Send me a message i can help you ouy with little tips on you guys installs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PearlMag7 said:
Guys that to much trouble to install a mobile video i am a certified installer for best buy. that takes to long and you have to take the whole headliner down plus you dont know the depth to drill in so you might go threw the roof.
Send me a message i can help you ouy with little tips on you guys installs.
Why not post the better way of doing it here, spread the wealth. I hope you arent talking about using the just backing plate that comes with the unit. There is no attaching points in the middle of the roof for the headliner. The headliner is too weak to hold up the monitor by itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wats up guys im new here as well. I'm also a certified Installer for bestbuy, but i didnt go through all that trouble to my over head in my magnum. theirs a support beam right in the center of the car between driver n passanger side.i used that n mines is in hard as a rock. n the others right to the headliner. on top of that i have a 15.4inch screen. it doesnt sag at all real nice tight fit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinkking of doing that too, but I didnt like the idea of the rear 2 screws just in the head liner. I am worried about ove rhte long haul. With my luck, the thing would flop over time going over bumps. You can push on the headliner and gives quite abit, well aleast mine does. Plus with the kids, they may not open it with the gentleness I would prefer, already a few "discussions" have taken place. Yes your way is easier, but I like the feeling all 4 screws are hard planted and no worries in the long run.

·
Registered
121 Posts
my 15"

here is my 15" screen was not that hard to put in. did it myself.

here is another after i got my sub box and gamecube in.

by the way thanks again semi hemi for all the helpfull info.

matt

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is a naked pic of the Magnum's cage. Both with and without a sunroof is the same. The rear brace where the "C" pillar meets the roof is the one that I took out an modified.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is my 15" screen was not that hard to put in. did it myself.

here is another after i got my sub box and gamecube in.

by the way thanks again semi hemi for all the helpfull info.

matt
Looking great! No sweat on the help, thats what we are here for!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Same roof bracing the sunroof is forward of the bracing.

PS Fixed the pics

It's totally different! its not so much the sunroof you have to worry about, but getting the roof mount put in without interfering with the operation of the sunshade.. I did mine, and it wasn't fun. I did post a step by step with pics on here.. just search for my posts..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts