Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
Taken from my site at LED Halos

In April 2010, we ordered LED halos with the voltage regulator from Flashtech USA, a competitor to Advanced Automotive Concepts and a vendor at LXForums.com. On the 27th, our white LED halos arrived. We also got some 3M two way tape, 3M Adhesive/sealant, and some new gloves.

We used two way tape for the halo's. I didn't want to use epoxy. (more green!)

Next is the removal of the headlights.

Remove all the pushpins on the top of the fascia. Remove the plastic rad support covers.

Use a 9/32" nut driver to remove the two screws. The front facia will need to be pulled forward a bit to get the headlight out, thats why the push pins need to come out.

The Oven.

We baked the lights one at a time- 25 minutes at 275 Degrees. All of the sealant needs to soften up so the clear front will seperate from the housing.​

Once they came out, we used a screwdriver and began to pry the housing off. This is why I needed new gloves. Pry all around the housing and loosen up the sealant the best you can. Then you can grab a corner, pull and separate and work your way around the light.

We removed the reflectors and gave them a couple of coats of the spray tint. The tabs can be popped out on the backside of the housing.

Installing the halos.

New we took each halo, and figured out where to drill for the wiring. Each halo on both sides will be in a different spot, so if you drill in one spot on one light, it won't be the same for the other headlight. Then we peeled away to two way tape and attached each halo. Gently push it on but be careful not to break the PCB holding all the LEDS. I think you'd need to reef on it pretty hard to break it though. Now would be a good time to hook them up to power to make sure everything works properly.

Here they are attached to the housings. We also used some Windex brand glass cleaner and a soft paper towel to clean all the silver. I had some water spots in there from when I drilled in to install the strobes and flushed the housing out with water.

Here's the wires coming out the back.

We used a heat gun to clean off the old sealant on our lenses. We used an upholstery tool to peel the old adhesive away from the lenses. It worked perfectly.

Drill a hole in the back housing so the wiring can exit the headlight.

We laid a bead of the 3M sealant on the housing, and attached the lens. Once it was all tight, we applied a bead of sealant around the lens.

Then we used come cables to keep it all tight while it all cured.

Halo Wiring

The Flashtech system came with a voltage regulator. Some folks over at LXForums decided this was a good way to keep the voltage constant to the LEDS- these are electronics after all so a voltage regulator makes perfect sense when you think of it. You can run all the LED's off it, and also later install the halo fog lights to the regulator. We had to run a new ground for the regulator. When doing wiring- do it right the first time!

The regulator isn't sealed, so we used velcro to mount it to the backside of the radiator. UPDATE- The new plan is to get a plastic project case from Radio Shack to encase the regulator. A perfect solution.

The Finished Product!

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
great write-up! Will definately come in handy when I can afford halos

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Very nice work Rob. You make it look easy! LOL!

I will add that after you put that final bead of sealant around the edges, run your finger along it to insure that it gets into all of the potential leakage points.

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice work Rob. You make it look easy! LOL!

I will add that after you put that final bead of sealant around the edges, run your finger along it to insure that it gets into all of the potential leakage points.
Yup- cause guess what- I washed it last light and had beads of water inside one light! :angryfire: Tore it all down, re cleaned all the old sealant and got it back together.

·
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
3,790 Posts
Couple of questions...

1) Is the voltage regulator really necessary? What would happen without it?

2) Why not use the VHT to tint the leds? I'm pretty sure there was an article somewhere about doing this and then wet sanding the front of the leds so that they were fully exposed (no tint). This helps to hid the rings agains the black housings.

3) Where did you steal the power from? Is it constant power or ingnition power?

4) Did you wire these to a switch located in the cabin? How did you run the wire through the firewall?

I just ordered a pair for myself and want to do this right the first time. I also want to add an extra degree of difficulty by wiring the halos into pigtails to make them easy to remove if I need to. And I want to run them to a switch in the cabin that runs off of ignition power, but I also want to run it off of constant power if I ever want to just turn them on to show off.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Yup- cause guess what- I washed it last light and had beads of water inside one light! :angryfire: Tore it all down, re cleaned all the old sealant and got it back together.
I wish the best for you as well as for everyone else who does this mod.
It's the best, most head turning mod out there and because of that it can be one of the most frustrating mods out there.

I have had mine opened up at least 5 times correcting problems and replacing components over the last 2 years.
As I type this I have a single section of my amber LED strip (5 LEDS) that are burned out.
I'm told by an authorized installer that every 5 LEDs has a resistor.
This particular section apparently has a faulty resistor. :censored:!

Just last week I took apart one of my foglights because the solder connection for the wire terminations on the back of the ring broke free.
I re-soldered the wires back on and hope to re-install the light this weekend sometime.

I keep telling myself that this is the last time I make repairs and that the next time something fails I'm just going to cut all of the wires and be done with it!

It's like crack cocaine I tell you!

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couple of questions...

1) Is the voltage regulator really necessary? What would happen without it?

Considering LEDS are actually electronic, needing their own resistors, the typical vehicle electric system can be harsh on them with the constant flux in voltage, however small it may be. Users complain of LEDS going out on AAC stuff- AAC to my knowledge doesn't include a voltage regulator to keep the power to the LEDS at a constant. Kinda smart IMO.

2) Why not use the VHT to tint the leds? I'm pretty sure there was an article somewhere about doing this and then wet sanding the front of the leds so that they were fully exposed (no tint). This helps to hid the rings agains the black housings.

I didn't want to tint them. I only wanted to tint the reflectors. Personally, I like the look of the white rings, because my car is white.

3) Where did you steal the power from? Is it constant power or ingnition power?

The regulator hooks right up to the battery, or in our case, to the junction box under the hood (the red box next to the fuse). Then the voltage regular has the outputs to the lights, and another input for the switched source. My system came with all the instructions.

4) Did you wire these to a switch located in the cabin? How did you run the wire through the firewall?

I didn't show it, but I ran the wiring through my firewall. It's explained here- http://www.mydodgemagnum.com/whelen-strobe-lights.html.

I have them not only on a toggle, but wireless remote.

I just ordered a pair for myself and want to do this right the first time. I also want to add an extra degree of difficulty by wiring the halos into pigtails to make them easy to remove if I need to. And I want to run them to a switch in the cabin that runs off of ignition power, but I also want to run it off of constant power if I ever want to just turn them on to show off.

I just keep my switch on, they come on with the car. Or when the car is off, the remote will trigger them on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts