Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
VinylDecals.com
1,758 Posts
This is a fairly simple procedure. I would recommend you allocate a whole day to this procedure so you don't rush things and let the paint dry between the different steps. By no means am I a professional paint/body person. I am sure there are many different ways to prep this project.

Tools needed -

VHT Nite-shades taillight tint
Automotive quality clear coat(R & E Paint Supply. 2 Part (2K), Aerosol, Urethane Clear Coat)
Small Hand
Panel popper(optional)
1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper
Bowl of water
Masking tape

1. Remove the 2 panel clips on the side of the taillight. You can use a flathead screwdriver if you don't have a panel popper.

2. Remove the plastic screen on the interior. Pull back the insulation and you will see the plastic wingnut that is holding the taillight on. This is were a pair of small hands helps. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE WINGNUT INSIDE THE PANEL. You will not be able to retrieve it.

3. Pull the taillight out and remove the bulbs/wiring. Repeat on other taillight.

4. Now that we have the taillights out, we need to prep them for the paint. I used 1500 grit and soaked the paper in water. I sanded each taillight making sure to keep the sandpaper/taillight wet. After you have sanded the taillight, mask off any areas you do not want tinted. For this set, I choose to leave the reverse lights clear.

5. Spray a light even coat onto each taillight. Wait about 20 minutes(depending on temp) and do additional coats until the taillights are to your desired darkness. I choose to do 3 coats as I wanted it dark, but still wanted to be able to see the brake lights during the day.

6. You may choose to wet sand in between each coat. If you do this you want to leave more time to let the paint completly dry.

Next, apply your clear coat to protect your taillights and give them a glossy finish. Unfortunatly, by this point I got very impatient and put on a couple HEAVY coats of clear too quickly. This resulted in some huge runs. I have ordered a buffer and will show you how to wet sand and buff your taillights if you run into the same problem.

7. Reinstall your taillights.

Here is a finished picture of the taillights installed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'll be trying it out this weekend, hope they look as good as Steve's..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just saw your how-to on the tinted tail lights. LOVE THEM!!!!

I'm going to try this this summer. A quick question???

Will this same process work on the head lights???

Don't know if you have tried it out yet.

Please let me know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey steve are there any local automotive stores that sell VHT Nightshade. I tried pepboys autozone and kragen. I am thinking im going to need to get it off ebay so i dont have to pay the 10$ shipping charge from Summit. Where did you get yours?

Please let me know.
Im not sure about painting of the from lightrs, but i would assume it would be simmilar. But if you do a search on headlight tint in this forum there is a topic that show syou how to take apart the headlamps to do the tint on the inside of the light.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
One wicked azz car!
5,940 Posts
sweet just odered me some of that looks like i'll be having fun this weekend...............Thank you Steve for the write up and thanks MagneZeeOOM for the link.........

Wait a minute I just added one more mod dam that list is getting long...

·
VinylDecals.com
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Please let me know.
Should be the same process for the headlights. I don't know what the light output would be like.

Hey steve are there any local automotive stores that sell VHT Nightshade. I tried pepboys autozone and kragen. I am thinking im going to need to get it off ebay so i dont have to pay the 10$ shipping charge from Summit. Where did you get yours?

Im not sure about painting of the from lightrs, but i would assume it would be simmilar. But if you do a search on headlight tint in this forum there is a topic that show syou how to take apart the headlamps to do the tint on the inside of the light.

I was unable to find any at the local automotive stores. I got mine on ebay and since it is an aerosol, the vendor has to ship it via ground. You may try a paint and body supply store. They may have a similar product. Also don't forget to put a clear coat on. If you don't put a clear coat on the finish is rather dull and can be easily scratched off.

·
One wicked azz car!
5,940 Posts
well mine are done and they look sweet...I added one more step when doing mine I did a couple coats then taped off another section above the two clear sections..then did two more coats this allowed me to go super dark and be some what legal

again thank you for the write up Steve!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very very nice BigAl!!! I thought about doing that with mine, but Im not doing the black silver look. Not sure if it will look good if I did.

Looks great!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did the tint yesterday. It all went very well. I had one issue though. After I put three light coats of clear coat on the tail lights, they still looked cloudy. I wet sanded them and polished them when I was done. I'll have to take them off when I get another day off and clear coat them.

Overall it is a simple, but time consuming mod. Very happy that you put the directions up and you were so detailed in your description.

·
Registered
29 Posts
did mine today, yep took all day. thanks for all of the good info. any tips on making it smooth as glass? the clear coat i used did not spray too well and there is an unwanted texture. maybe im just a perfectionist. thanx for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did my rear lights a few months ago and I have had only one problem. The clear coat started to crinkle and peel.

I wet sanded the clear between coats (when it was fully dry). I buffed them when they were completly dry.

I am going to redo mine this weekend. I am not sure why they started to peel. And the clear is the only thing that is peeling not the tint. It started once it got hot out here. I live in NC and it is almost 90 degrees every day.

I wet sanded them with 1500 and then 2000 then used buffing compound and then Maquires 3 stage polishing. They came out like glass, better than factory.

When you guys wet sand you can get rid of the runs easily. Depending on the runs you may want to start with 1200 then go to the 1500 then 2000.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts