Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
The only thing I have to say about future potential gains is that these engines are extremely sensitive to heat. Trust me - driving this heavy beast in 115* heat you mise well attach a 2 ton boat anchor to the back. Without a sealed system the hot air lingers in the engine bay and just gets sucked right back in regardless of where the filter is positioned or how big the filter is.

In my own car i have the fog bezels cut out and a ram air nozzle thats fed from the grill area right up to the filter. It helps when the car is moving but when I'm sitting at a stop light for a few minutes and romp on it the car sits there and bogs from all that rush of 200+degree air being sucked in through that airhammer. The K&N heat shield doesnt do a damn thing either...I modified something similar to fit the hammer and it did nothing. The other thing is, the mild steel heat soaks like an 80yo leather skinned sun worshipping old lady from sun city. In fact, after a good 30 min of driving around in the heat the mild steel tubes are too hot to touch without burning yourself. Dont think for a second that doesnt have an affect on the perceived IAT readings. If I remove the IAT from the intake tube and tape it up behind the strut bar the IAT readings drop almost 15 degrees. For those who arent familiar - the hotter the IAT reading the more timing the car will pull and the more power you will lose.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
^
I will agree that the "heat shields" don't do much in combating the heat and I believe they were tested somewhere on LX forums. A full sealed system would be beneficial and I also like the idea of bringing the intake tube through the silencer hole and placing the filter below the engine compartment.

As far as the tubes go, whether it was the mild steel, aluminum or even plastic each one was extremely hot after the 3 back to back pulls. Again I thought I saw a test regarding the tube material over at LX forums but am not to certain on the results.

·
Hemi? Noooooooo!
7,347 Posts
Very nice wright up!!! Yeah those intake tubes get nice and hot. Now if we could find something for the tube to take the heat way down. That would be cool.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Is carbon fiber a good insulating material? No one has yet to make a carbon fiber intake for the 3.5 but I think the market would be big for it.

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Is carbon fiber a good insulating material?
Carbon fiber and fiberglass have better heat deflection properties then most metals or plastics. Stainless Steel and aluminum alloys have the best heatsoak properties of any of the metals but also harder and more expensive to work with.

No one has yet to make a carbon fiber intake for the 3.5 but I think the market would be big for it.
Hopefully... we'll see

·
Registered
590 Posts
this is sweet...ya i think im happy with my nigbully intake now:)..well i always was but now even more! nice work!

·
I am CANADIAN!!!
2,678 Posts
sweet write up man. imo from the test results , big bully is still the best bang for your buck. beans to you sir for your time well spent testing out these products that are available to us.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Alright, another Edit has been made to the original post . . .

K&N does indeed have dyno charts posted on their web site for their 3.5 intakes for the LX. They were done on a Dynojet just like my tests and sould be fairly comparable. They are showing a +11.68HP increase over stock.

I am very confident to now say the BB, AH and K&N perform essentially the same, although the numbers are slightly different not one resulted in substantially larger gains to comfortably call it better in the performance department.

Now i don't have to go re-test the K&N haha I am relieved.

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
THANKS!! Nice JOB!!! I was really wondering if they really worked and thanks to all your hard work I am HAPPY!! Thanks Again!!!

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Have you considered the affects the cooldown period and fans would have had on the stock intake? Heat soak has a pretty nasty impact on our engines regardless of the intake and Im guessing if given the same circumstances the stock intake may perform better then people credit it for. Not to take away any glory from the intake manufactures I just figure while we're speaking in the name of science. Also did you notice any difference in the graphs as to how soon the powerband climbed, and for how long, and when it peaked with the various intakes?

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Well the stock intake was tested when the engine was coolest . . . as I said I drove almost an hour to get to where the tests were done but then the car sat in the shade for about an hour before we loaded it on the dyno. It is really a guess as to how the engine heat compared to those of the later tests as mentioned I wish I used the Predator to data log engine temps and such so a better analysis could be made.

I do feel the stock box would perform better on the open road than on a dyno though. Since we only had a pair of fans moving air into the grill the stock box had to draw from the almost stagnant air behind the fascia, you can argue the same effects on the aftermarket intakes but since all the tests were run with the hood open I feel these intakes were able to draw from a much larger volume of cooler air.

I feel confident with my conclusions that the aftermarket intakes I tested will perform very similar to one another. But for the actual gains over stock . . . that is still up for interpretation.

As for a more detailed comparison of the graphs, I am not sure how accurate they would be. From what I was told the shifting plays around with the graphs a lot in the lower RPM range, the tech in my case did not necessarily apply the throttle in the exact same manor each time, he sort of feathered in until 3rd gear I think before he really gave it gas. He recommended I do not make comparisons before the 5000RPM mark . . . maybe he is crazy? I don’t know but he has 15 years under his belt so I listened to him haha.

Damn the more I talk about this the more I think I know what I am talking about haha but I remind you I do not. . . I am just a “science nerd” trying to make some sense of the data I collected but you do bring up some good points Ryan and unfortunately I don’t feel I have enough evidence to give you solid answers on them.

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Damn the more I talk about this the more I think I know what I am talking about haha but I remind you I do not. . . I am just a “science nerd” trying to make some sense of the data I collected but you do bring up some good points Ryan and unfortunately I don’t feel I have enough evidence to give you solid answers on them.
I appreciate all your testing efforts and I know its difficult, time consuming, and expensive to do research like this and when you think you have all your bases covered questions always come up later. As far as Im concerned, intakes and dyno numbers and the whole bit are all very objective and we could all speculate on factors for months. Dyno testing is particularly finicky with our cars in pretty much every way. Shifting trends of the 5 speed (even the 4 speed a little) combined with ESP create spikes in the curves and just inconsistent to record a full power pull from low to high. And shift points can cause spikes in the curves that are misleading and distort the peak numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I know what you mean, there are so many things i wish I did differently to try make things "better" but even at that there are so many other variables I can still think of after.

I know what you mean about peaks in the charts and there were peaks right after each run, these were removed on all the graphs I feel the Max HP numbers are alright but since torque peaks in the lower RPM range I feel some of those numbers may be distorted by the shifting.

Combined with other independant Air Hammer and K&N Dynojet tests as well as mine I am sticking to my opinion that all the aftermarket intakes perform very similar regardless the slight variances in design. I think radical design changes are necessary to start pulling higher numbers with just an intake.

I am now contemplating building something custom for myself haha I got a few ideas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just bought the K&N system, awaiting for it's arrival tomorrow! I am happy to hear that it did so well. I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't pick it up for less than the BB, and the BB would have been my next purchase. I just couldn't pass up over 100 bucks less than retail on the K&N. If I purchase a HEMI, I will by buying a BB.... I think that is the best bang for the buck IMO.... Like I said, if it weren't for me getting the K&N so cheap...

I do have a question however.

When you were doing your testing, were you using the PREDATOR? And the results on the K&N site, were they using a similar devise, or just stock map and the K&N?

PS: When I get my K&N setup, I plan on looking at the box design. I have seen it before, and thought that it could use some tweeking if you will.... It didn't seem to me that it was isolated enough, and needs more open air to the box....

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
My tests were done on a completley stock engine, no tuning no exhaust etc.

The +12Hp results shown on the K&N site were also done on a stock 2005 SXT. You can find their dyno chart on the K&N website.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Excellent write up and answers. You spent a lot of time and hours for this so here is a bean for you!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Excellent write up, bro. Im a science/technology nerd of sorts myself. Aint science koooooolll? Lmao

41 - 60 of 61 Posts