Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They finally came in the mail... got them installed today. These are the Hotchkis Billet Hood pins (model 1760) that have quick release pins. I used the stock bump stop mount holes in the core support but drilled it deeper to make room for the pin to seat. I trimmed my radiator cover to allow the raised threaded area to sit at the same level so when the washers sandwich everything it sits flat and firm. I cut off the threads from the stock bump stops and drilled a hole down the center of the top then sanded thinned down the base to be the appropriate height. I used a slightly smaller drill bit than the post so that it would thread on and still be adjustable and look clean and finished. The billet plates mount to the hood using counter sink allen screws and nyloc nuts with washers.

Check it out:

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Measure twice, drill once....
Good philosophy although no real measuring done here. Once the hood pins were mounted and aligned I used a dab of white lithium grease on the tip of the pins and gently let the hood rest on them leaving a dot of white grease exactly where you need to drill. Once I got the hole cut on the underside I did the same thing again to leave a dot of grease on the bottom of the upper layer as a guide for the center. I cut a small hole and just took a little bit out at a time as the hood shifts forward as it closes so the hole needs to be somewhat oval shaped. After multiple tests and shaping the hole I mounted the plates. Getting the plates on was probably the hardest part. I used a dab of weatherstrip adhesive to glue the washer to the nyloc nut and used medical kelly forceps to hold the nut in through the hood pin hole while carefully trying to thread the bolt into it from the top side.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think $300 is too much for hood pins.
Yeah... you and me both and thats exactly why I didnt get those. These Hotchkis ones were $180 shipped. On another point Im not a fan of how those operate. I saw them on FatChance's 300 at SpringFestival and I wasnt really impressed.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I like the ones you bought Ryan. They look great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts