Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Piss Excellence.
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am clueless when it comes to anything paint! I need y'all to break it down barney style for me. I would LOVE to start on painting the interior of my car, my fear is for it to start chipping away and what not. So what I am asking for is a step by step on painting anything interior and maybe a do's and dont's list. Im sure im not the only one with this idea rolling around so please help me out.

What do I need?
Where can I get it?
Adhesion promoter what colors match the best?
Which brand?
What painting have you done?
Any pics of what you have painted?
Do I need to sand? what kind? what grit? differences between grit?

I know it's a lot to ask but any info at all is very much appreciated. I need to get my spring mod list in order.:rauch08:

·
Registered
111 Posts
if your interior is already black and brown i would go ahead and paint the brown parts blue, its easier to cover up the lighter colors than it is to cover up the darker ones. What u wanna do is get the plastic pieces (u will notice the difference) and u can actually sand them down with 220 grit sandpaper, u can find sand paper in your local paint shops or napa stores. The first thing u would have to do is clean them with some degreaser type stuff before u start sanding down the pieces, i use one called Kar Prep u can find it at napa or paint stores. The kind paint u use is actual car paint PPG its abit pricey depending on what u get, theres 2 different types theres the one stage paint which is already glossy (more expensive), and then theres the basecoat paint which is alot cheaper but u need the clear coat to seal it ( its alot more steps trust me). If u wanna match the paint to the outside of ur maggie then the paint shop will have books showing all the paint codes for that specific year and model of the car and u can get it matched. The parts that are leather (vinyl) are the tough ones in my opinion, auto parts stores sell paint for the leather parts but ive never trusted that crap they peel too quick in my opinion and they start fading after time. if the pieces that u wanna paint are the brown ones and there all plastic then go for it, if ur gonna do all the painting urself then make sure u get urself a good paint gun(not cheap) and a good air compressor (not cheap either). I wish u good luck on ur project and pm if any other questions arise.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One more thing, stay AWAY from the leather vinyl paint sprays for any part that will be touched. If the parts are static and do not move, then it works pretty good. The paint scratches and flakes off real easy. For anything that you come in contact with like seats or door panels, buttons, etc., I would have them painted by a shop.

You can do it yourself with rattle cans if you are steady and take you time. The key is that those parts MUST be sanded for the paint to stick. (rattle can or paint shop)

If you can't sand them, you may not be happy with the results. Example, the dash or door panels wont sand well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts