Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
They call me Destroyer
11,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just yanked the 22's so that I could hopefully get em cleaned up and powdercoated here pretty quick so thanks to Taren(aka-05silverhemimag) I'm rolling stockers for a bit... Now, my ? Is, can I use the tpms off my 22's on em, or should I basically buy new ones?

Ok, that was the warm up ?, I know that a 255/55/18 is the tire everyone goes to, but my ? For that is simple, y? Can u not go wider, or taller? Stock height is a 60 series and there's still room up there, what about a 65 series? I don't know what sizes are made really I've not dealt with 18s b4... But I checked steves guide and it said 255/55/18. So if that's the final answer, will do, but I wanna fill that wheel well as much as possible! N e ways, let me know if you've went bigger or wider or both!

·
Rollin in the Mag
5,350 Posts
Not sure bout the sensors, my mag doesnt have em i dont think, when i got my 20's I put em on myself and that was it, not even sure where these "sensors" are located. I do believe thats the widest tire you can use though.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
The 255x55x18 is the widest (and tallest) tire you can put on the stock 18" rim and be safe, if you go any taller (ratio) the tire will hit on the suspension or steering parts. Think rims are 8.5" wide, so you can't go any wider.

Bob

·
Mr. Entertainment
9,085 Posts
dont u hate riding stock !! ughhhh i felt like i was nobody!!

·
They call me Destroyer
11,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 255x55x18 is the widest (and tallest) tire you can put on the stock 18" rim and be safe, if you go any taller (ratio) the tire will hit on the suspension or steering parts. Think rims are 8.5" wide, so you can't go any wider.

Bob
the width i believe, but the height, stock is a 60 series, so how is it that a 55 is all you can go to?

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
the 60 series is a tough one to find. Not too many manufacturers make that size. also any bigger and you'd look like my Jeep.... just too much sidewall for a car.

the 55's are easier to find and you'll get better handling out of them.

And fam, a nobody? really? Geeze guy, have a set will ya? You're driving a Magnum.... nobody. Hey BAM slap him for me.

Burleson
(proudly sporting stock 18's)

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
I have 255 55 18s on mine and there isnt much space between the tire and threads on the upper steering knuckle or whatever you wanna call it. Not sure you would want to go any taller anyways. If the car is lowered I would probably go with a 255 45 18.

·
They call me Destroyer
11,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no longer lowered due to driveway, so we r most likely gonna go on with the 255/55/18's

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
^^^ nope
stock is larger in Dia.

·
Registered
336 Posts
:worthless:

Kidding...not worthless. Very imformative actually 'cause I've been looking to do the same thing.

HOWEVER...does anyone have picks of the 255/55/18 actually on a car so we can see how it looks?

PIC PLEASE

·
They call me Destroyer
11,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok, these are my narrowed down 255/55 choices

Fortera Triple Tread

Grabber HTS

Grabber UHP

Avon Tech

who knows what about these? The general grabber uhp has nothing on the snow ratings, but thats EXACTLY what these are for, snow/nasty weather.... so I need to know that.... n e one run em? Some of the reviews say very noisy.... hmmmm

tell me im not gonna be shelling out 186 bucks for a set of BACKUPs, lol

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
the width i believe, but the height, stock is a 60 series, so how is it that a 55 is all you can go to?
Don't see where anyone answered this question. 55 vs 60 is a ratio compared to the width. So it's not a fixed height for every different size tire. A 255-60 would be a lot taller than the stock 225-60 (almost 1 1/2 inches). Even though it's a 55 series tire, the 255-55 is still a half inch taller than stock 60 series, 225-60. Check out this wheel size calculator. You can compare tire sizes and see the differences.

Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - BIGCUSTOMWHEELS

Just playing around, I tried a 265-50-18 with the calculator. Turns out it's almost the exact same height as stock, 225-60-18. It says it will work on a 7.5" - 10" rim. And they are available, but not many tire manufactures make them, so they're kinda pricey. Maybe that's why no one has tried them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts