Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Magnum R/T. Gas prices here in Cali are and have been crazy for since right after Russia attacked the Ukraine. The prices dropped a bit a couple of weeks ago but have now gone back up. Chrysler recommends 89 octane fuel as the minimum for use in the 2006 5.7 Hemi. They don't sell E85 in Cali that I know of, but I think I could make my own by adding a gallon of Denatured alcohol to every 10 gallons of 87 octane fuel. Home Depot & Lowes sell denatured or wood alcohol as paint thinner in the paint dept by the gallon, and I think it is quite a bit less expensive than 89 octane gas. I realize that E85 is a blend of 87 octane and Ethanol, but Is the chemical makeup of Ethanol, Methanol, & denatured that much different as far as use for fuel is concerned? Will an engine care or notice any difference?

I'm curious if any of you guys from the Midwest have run E85 in your R/T's or R/TS engines in Challengers, Chargers, or 300c's. I think the 4th gen Hemi from 2008 on is probably rated for E85, will it hurt the 3rd gen Hemi's?

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,190 Posts
Your Hemi is not a flex fuel engine and not meant to run on E-85. If you try this, have a tow truck standing by to haul your car to the nearest mechanic so he can drain your fuel system.

The injectors need to be remapped, custom tuning is required, and you need to make sure your fuel lines will work with E85, it eats through rubber lines.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Since gas here is now between $6.25-$8.00 a gallon, I'll keep running 89 or 91 octane, but if prices don't come down, I'm going to find out how much it would cost to have everything replaced and remapped to be able to run a gas/alcohol mix since I'm sure the alcohol is probably half the price of gas right now!

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,190 Posts
Thanks for the info. Since gas here is now between $6.25-$8.00 a gallon, I'll keep running 89 or 91 octane, but if prices don't come down, I'm going to find out how much it would cost to have everything replaced and remapped to be able to run a gas/alcohol mix since I'm sure the alcohol is probably half the price of gas right now!
It's been done and I think there are E85 kits you can get, might want to search around. As the current situation unfolds globally, I absolutely don't blame you for going this route.

Quick internet search for E85 kits run about a grand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that right now the oil companies are keeping the price artificially high. If the price comes down, I may not bother, but if they stay high and the price of denatured alcohol doesn't go up, I will seriously consider making the changes..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts