Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

Is my key dead?

821 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jbuczek 
#1 ·
I need a little help. My key, not the gray one but the big black one that unlocks the doors, has stopped working. I replaced the battery with an Energizer battery that has the same numbers on it as the original Panasonic battery. Nothing happens. It won't lock, unlock or panic. Is there something that I should do after replacing the battery? Manual unlocking was fine until the little door that covers the lock hole froze shut last week so I need to get this thing fixed. can someone help?

#2 · (Edited)
Make sure that the battery holder (tabs) inside the key fob are holding the batter correctly and that the battery isn't upsidedown. There are 2 arms,(circled in black) one on either side of the battery that hold it in place. Make sure that they have not slipped off the side of the battery. If they do, you could lose the connection. Make sure that the main retention clip (+ connector) holds the battery down tight also.

#3 ·
Ya as Fireman said, and check the solder connection of that clip that holds the battery, my parents have a Chevy HHR and my mom asked me to look at her key, was actin the same way, when I took it apart the clip was seperated from the board, a little soldering fixed it right up.

#4 ·
i have heard of the need to re-solder a spot on the keys before on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.