Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest, I'd stick with your stock intake, before going to something like that. With the filter element not being isolated from the heated engine compartment air, you're defeating any potential benefit of a higher flow. Hot intake air=reduced performance.

However, if what you're going for is a louder intake "roar", that might just do the trick.

I have an '07 R/T and modified my own "stock" intake. I installed an SRT airbox, but the additional mods would work with yours too.

After removing the airbox, you'll see there's a gap of approximately 1/4" to 1/2" between the bottom and the sheet metal panel beneath it. There's a hole in the panel, to allow cooler, ambient air to enter the airbox. The gap, however, allowed hot air from the engine compartment to sneak in there too.

I used a 4" length of 3 1/2" (I think?) tubing to bridge the gap. I installed the tube into the base of the airbox, securing it with rivets and epoxy.

When the airbox is re-installed, the tube projects beneath the panel, into the area behind the front bumper and in front of the left front tire. It's protected from water and debris by splash panels. The advantage is, the engine is ingesting true "cold" air, and I spent less than 5 bucks... other than buying a K&N, flat panel filter.

This is the panel beneath your airbox...

And, this is the tube installed in the airbox...

It doesn't have the "bling" of a shiny, polished tube and a cone filter, but it probably works as well, or maybe even better. AND, the smog guys don't go sideways when they see it... cuz, they can't see it.

This is how my intake looks... other than the upgraded SRT airbiox, it looks completely stock.

·
Banned
455 Posts
An intake system will allow your car to breath. more air, more power. more power, more efficiency. Now, your question on whether this one is a good deal or not is suspect, only because UNCA is right, you are not isolating the hot air from the cold, thus loosing any real gains from the system. higher end systems, will have a dedicated wall/or box isolating the filter from the engine bay. These systems are the ones you will aim for, for a more "Cold Air" effect. you definitely want a dedicated area isolated from the rest of the motor to pull colder air for more power and better gains! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
What they said...however...if you add race headers and a cat-back you will get more ooph...but would benefit more when you tune it all together...I like what waldo did...with a K&N filter and his set up would help...more better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Love the stealth look. I dont need to have a big old sock showing to help my cars performance. ON the other hand I havent paid $150+ for something that simply wont do a thing to performance all by itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts