Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, as I was checkin' and cleanin' my camera, a Nikon D5000, I happened to turn the zoom ring... only to hear a distinct "crunching" noise. The lens "zooms" and the noise went away, BUT... now, the front part of the lens, the part that slided in and out, flops around to an approximately 10 degree or so angle

Now I have this a wee, tiny voice in my head... (not the "normal" voices I hear...) tellin' me the lens is kaput, dead... a relatively expensive paperweight.

Ugh... it's not an expensive lens, as SLR lenses go, but I ain't got a couple of hundred dollars layin' around. Well, I kinda do, but I'd rather spend it, moddin' the Waldowagen.

Oh well, sorry for the mini rant... or maxi-snivel, whatever ya wanna call it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well I feel for you , cause I've been thinking about gettin a decent camera to shoot my car , better than these poor quality camera photos. But everything happens for a reason !!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You might consider a used lens as a replacement. I use www.keh.com quite a bit and have never been disappointed. Their "bargain" grade equipment is usually very reasonably priced and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might consider a used lens as a replacement. I use www.keh.com quite a bit and have never been disappointed. Their "bargain" grade equipment is usually very reasonably priced and well worth the money.
Thanks for the heads up... I spoke with the camera shop I bought this from and they seemed to feel it should be covered under warranty. I'm gonna call Nikon tomorrow and see if I can actually talk to a real human being. If I can accomplish that, it'll be a minor miracle... (lol)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good luck. It certainly SOUNDS as though it should be covered under warranty, but of course things aren't always that simple. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I hate those moments...where ya hear the damage and don't want to look!! Good luck getting it fixed, hopefully it will go smooth.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Waldo, Nikon should take care of that if it's still under warranty. If it isn't, they will be able to fix it for less than the price of that lens. I would wait to see what they have to say. What lens is this?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waldo, Nikon should take care of that if it's still under warranty. If it isn't, they will be able to fix it for less than the price of that lens. I would wait to see what they have to say. What lens is this?
It's the "standard", 18-55 zoom lens with Image Stabilization. Like I said, it's not a really expensive lens when compared to a lot of others, but it would be nice to get it fixed/replaced without diggin' into my pocket.

The real bummer is the wait... seems like it takes forever to go through the process of shipping the lens, waiting for them to inspect it, decide whether or no to cover it, fix it and then ship it back. Sitting here, without a camera, will bug the heck outta me...

Oh well, gotta jump through the hoops I guess.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you bought it from a smaller camera shop they may give you a loner. You can rent loners if you don't like the wait. I'm not a big fan of doing that unless it meant that I would be making money with whatever it was that I was renting. You could find cheap Nikon glass on CL in your area. Any lense from Nikon made after 1974 (which pretty much means any lense you find) will work on your camera. If you find a cheap 35mm lense you won't have auto focus, but if it's cheap then it's still worth it. I only use auto focus about 75% of the time anyway. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you bought it from a smaller camera shop they may give you a loner. You can rent loners if you don't like the wait. I'm not a big fan of doing that unless it meant that I would be making money with whatever it was that I was renting. You could find cheap Nikon glass on CL in your area. Any lense from Nikon made after 1974 (which pretty much means any lense you find) will work on your camera. If you find a cheap 35mm lense you won't have auto focus, but if it's cheap then it's still worth it. I only use auto focus about 75% of the time anyway. Hope that helps!
Thanks, I'll look into that.

I've got another SLR, though it's as good as the Nikon. If needed, it'll get the job done.

I'd thought about refurb'd lenses, Nikon sells them, but the cost is only about $30.00 less than a brand new unit. Hardly seems worth it.

I'd been thinkin' about adding an upgraded lens, so this might be a good time to do it. Get the lens I want and send this one in for repair...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Waldo, although Nikon makes great lenses. I would say go to a Sigma lens or Tokina. They ONLY make lenses therefore they are going to be better in some ways. You'll save so much money that way. The 8-16 wide angle I use almost exclusively (Sigma) cost half as much as the same lense from Nikon. My 18-250 telephoto from Sigma cost hundreds less than Nikons 18-200. It goes out further and is just as sharp. Check them out, you'll like.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sigma's lenses are not bad, my only complaint is their movement for manual adjustments is not as smooth as factory lenses... At least that is my experience with my Olympus e520.

Sent from my magnum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts