Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first tried to join 3-4 months ago, but kept getting a message about the forum using an anti spammer database that was not accessible! I'm a 73 year old retired transport refrigeration mechanic. I had a dodge 2004 Dakota standard cab v6 with a 5 speed. Cab was too cramped for me and I started getting a sore groin from the clutch, especially if I got caught in traffic.

My wife and I decided to refinance the house, and take out some cash to buy a different vehicle, and to sell the Dakota. I bought a 2006 Magnum R/T about 2 months ago with 140,000 miles on the "clock." I took it to my mechanic and had them change the oil, replace the plugs, change the trans filter, and check for possible metal in the trans pan (clean!), he changed the struts and shocks, then sent it out for alignment, only to discover that it needed lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. It went back to the shop for the front end pieces and then back to the tire shop for alignment. Last week it turned on the check engine light, and the code showed the left bank running lean. They found one O2 sensor shorted, so I had them replace all four. I think it is now ready to run for a while before needing more work, although I plan to have an extra plug in installed in the ashtray and wired to the cigarette lighter. My wife and I don't smoke.

I originally budgeted $10,000 for the car, but have only spent about $8,000 so far.

I really liked the Magnums when they first came out and decided that if I sold the Dakota, that I would look for a Magnum R/T to replace it. I think Chrysler misunderstood the market when they came out with the Magnum. They saw how popular old station wagons were with hot rodders and figured that there must be a market for a new wagon. They did not realize that the customer base that they needed for a wagon were the "soccer moms" who prefer suvs or minivans.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here on this forum.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,568 Posts
I'm glad you joined and I too, am 73 and enjoying life very much. We have 15 LX cars, 6 magnums, 7 300's, 2 chargers and 2 Ram 1500's. We have a total of 40 cars and yes we live in the country. Hope you enjoy the forum, Wife and I have been on here since 2008.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I've seen quite a few of your posts, and pics of some of your cars in Hazman's "Playing with My Crayon's Again" thread in the dark room. I grew up in the country, but I married a "city girl". No regrets, but no way would she let me have that many vehicles! From your wife's replies in Hazman's thread, it sounds like she is a Mopar fan as well, or are you guys car fans who happen to have a bunch of Mopars?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts