Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just purchased a 2007 Dodge Magnum K9 unit that came out of service with Bucks County Sheriff’s Office, Pennsylvania. It was an undercover unit but I plan on marking it up in it’s original Bucks County Departments livery. It has all it’s covert Whelen lights and sirens and the K9 control system is fully operational including the rear door popper to deploy the dog in emergencies. My name is Nick and I live in the UK where there is a group of us that own ex American Police vehicles and we attend events and charity stuff with them, also do some film work as well. My Magnum is the only fully operational K-9 unit in the UK but was just wondering if anyone on here also owns a Police spec Magnum.
Cheers.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Grille
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Smile Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Font Machine Auto part Display device Gas

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've never seen a Magnum in police service. A few years ago the California CHP was looking at getting Volvo station wagons, but the rank and file officers put up such a "stink" about driving station wagons that they ended up getting Ford explorers instead, I think, somehow they identified station wagons with "soccer moms", but suvs were thought to be more masculine(?) Of course, most of the soccer moms I've seen are driving either minivans or suvs! I think that is why Chrysler dropped the Magnum after only 4 years due to low sales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen a Magnum in police service. A few years ago the California CHP was looking at getting Volvo station wagons, but the rank and file officers put up such a "stink" about driving station wagons that they ended up getting Ford explorers instead, I think, somehow they identified station wagons with "soccer moms", but suvs were thought to be more masculine(?) Of course, most of the soccer moms I've seen are driving either minivans or suvs! I think that is why Chrysler dropped the Magnum after only 4 years due to low sales.
I never realized that so many Sheriff Departments used
I was amazed by how many Police and Sheriff
departments uses Magnums when I looked into it. I fell in love with the Magnum K9 as soon as I saw and drove it. Was originally looking at a Crown Vic K9 but when this one came up I went for it.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Window
Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2006 Magnum R/T. I love it. It has a few minor blemishes on the body, probably typical parking lot dings, etc. The trim that was flat black from the factory has worn paint, but it runs great!
I'm surprised that yours still has the red & blue lights. In California it is illegal to have blue lights on a car unless it is a police vehicle, so typically the lights, sirens, etc. are removed before they are sold to the public. It may be that since the car was sent overseas, that the police only parts were left on your car.

I noticed that you posted pics of an SFPD car and a Santa Ana police car. I live near Long Beach, Ca, but have never seen one of the Santa Ana Police Magnums. I would imagine that all of the Magnums have long since been sold off and replaced with Ford Explorers or Dodge Durango's by now.

In California the CHP usually buys specially modified cars, mostly brakes and suspension mods. I remember back in the 1960's when the CHP was using Dodge sedans with the 440 magnum engines prior to Chrysler offering disc brake's on their cars, that drivers of Jaguar E types and other high speed sports cars would bait the CHP on Donner Pass and get the police to give chase, then pull over near the bottom of the old road and watch the police go sailing by without brakes! Needless to say that did not last very long before the CHP took the cars into their shops and replaced the drum brakes with after market disc brake systems.

Were the Bucks County cars originally black with white doors?

I have never been to Europe, but have seen pics of some of the narrow lanes in the UK. I would think that the Magnum might be awfully big for some of those narrow country lanes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2006 Magnum R/T. I love it. It has a few minor blemishes on the body, probably typical parking lot dings, etc. The trim that was flat black from the factory has worn paint, but it runs great!
I'm surprised that yours still has the red & blue lights. In California it is illegal to have blue lights on a car unless it is a police vehicle, so typically the lights, sirens, etc. are removed before they are sold to the public. It may be that since the car was sent overseas, that the police only parts were left on your car.

I noticed that you posted pics of an SFPD car and a Santa Ana police car. I live near Long Beach, Ca, but have never seen one of the Santa Ana Police Magnums. I would imagine that all of the Magnums have long since been sold off and replaced with Ford Explorers or Dodge Durango's by now.

In California the CHP usually buys specially modified cars, mostly brakes and suspension mods. I remember back in the 1960's when the CHP was using Dodge sedans with the 440 magnum engines prior to Chrysler offering disc brake's on their cars, that drivers of Jaguar E types and other high speed sports cars would bait the CHP on Donner Pass and get the police to give chase, then pull over near the bottom of the old road and watch the police go sailing by without brakes! Needless to say that did not last very long before the CHP took the cars into their shops and replaced the drum brakes with after market disc brake systems.

Were the Bucks County cars originally black with white doors?

I have never been to Europe, but have seen pics of some of the narrow lanes in the UK. I would think that the Magnum might be awfully big for some of those narrow country lanes.
Thanks for the reply, lol, our roads are not that bad but not as wide as in the US. The reason all the lights/sirens etc are still on there is because it was bought direct off the department and shipped immediately so no chance of it being used illegally there. It’s quite an unusual color for a cop car it’s a lovely dark blue metallic and the paint is in real nice condition. Been well maintained by the department.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like it is the same color as my Magnum as well as my wife's Grand Caravan. Interestingly we bought the Caravan new and picked the color we liked right off the dealer's lot. In the case of the Magnum, I bought it used with 140,000 miles on the ":clock", but it is the same color. I suspect that they may have had yours repainted when the Sherriff's dept. took it out of k9 service and used it as an unmarked car.

I remember when some police depts. started using Camaro IROC Z's as pursuit vehicles. CHP did it before they bought the less expensive Mustang the next year and from then on until the Dodge Charger came out with the hemi. They needed the more powerful, lighter models because the Crown Vics. were big, heavy, and under powered. The problem was that if the officer needed to make an arrest while using the Camaro or Mustang, they needed to call for someone with the Crown Vic. to have 4 doors and a big enough back seat to carry a prisoner. Dodge came out with the Charger just when Ford discontinued the Crown Vic. plus the Charger allowed the police to replace 2 vehicles with one model, and they no longer need to call for backup to transport a prisoner.

I also remember when GM offered the Camaro police pursuit vehicle model B4C which was available only to police depts. I think it had bigger brakes, the 110 amp alternator, was less expensive than the IROCZ because it had a more "spartan" interior. A police chief had ordered a dozen or so B4C Camaros, and then the city counsel wanted to cancel the order, so the police chief ordered them in various colors instead of just black and white supposedly to be used as undercover vehicles. He reimbursed the city for the purchase, and then sold them at a profit on the open market. They were the tune port cars from the late 80's or early 90's near the end of the 3rd Gen production run. As a result there are a dozen or less rare Camaro's out on the road that are probably worth more than most 3rd gen Camaros if still in excellent condition if the owner knows what he has!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mate,s got a 2002 B4C, again only one in UK. It is his actual patrol car that he drove when he was a Deputy Sheriff with the Benton County Sheriffs Department, WA.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow thats one sweet magnum!!! I've only seen one other police magnum out when I was in Anaheim California but man was it a sweet looking car i really Think more police should have picked the magnum makes a sweet police car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thats one sweet magnum!!! I've only seen one other police magnum out when I was in Anaheim California but man was it a sweet looking car i really Think more police should have picked the magnum makes a sweet police car!
Thanks very much, really pleased with it. Ideal for my 3 dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts