Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when there is a vertical change while driving there is a knocking sound. I've read other threads and a bunch of problems come from the suspension bushings.

So i decided to try and diagnose if it was bushings and if so which one.

I found this one and it is obviously worn and torn. My question (because i know nothing about suspension) is which part of the suspension is this.... i want to guess and say lower control arm.

I would rather ask my magnum family first before buying anything!

I appreciate all your help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG063.jpg

Here is another picture showing the damage :/

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
That is the sway bar end link. You'll need to replace both sides.

2008 DODGE MAGNUM Stabilizer Bar Link

MEVOTECH Part # MK80262 More Info {#K80262} Stabilizer Bar Link Kit

RWD; Front Right

MEVOTECH Part # MK80263 More Info {#K80263, MS25804} Stabilizer Bar Link Kit

RWD; Front Left

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
I have an extra one that's almost new. It's for the driver's side, I believe. If you want it, lemme know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fireman. Your expertise is much appreciated. But i have an additional question.... So why would i need to replace both sides? Is it not just the bushing that's damaged? Also, there is no sounds while turning (if that makes a difference).

I am gonna order the parts you suggested. Just trying to understand your diagnosis that led to this conclusion (picking your brain) :)

Frost PM'd

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Thanks Fireman. Your expertise is much appreciated. But i have an additional question.... So why would i need to replace both sides? Is it not just the bushing that's damaged? Also, there is no sounds while turning (if that makes a difference).

I am gonna order the parts you suggested. Just trying to understand your diagnosis that led to this conclusion (picking your brain) :)

Frost PM'd
If it's normal driving that caused that end link to wear like that, you must assume that the other side is worn also. Replacing both links is the prudent way to go. Do you have to?.......No, but at $50.00 for the pair, it's worth it IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks for the information fireman. It is greatly appreciated. I also have one more question.... are these two things a problem?
IMG071.jpg IMG067.jpg

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
OK thanks for the information fireman. It is greatly appreciated. I also have one more question.... are these two things a problem?
View attachment 28524 View attachment 28525

Thanks again
Picture one is definitely a problem. Those are the tension struts.... AKA - Front lower control arms (right & left). Again, both the left and the right need to be replaced. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441772,parttype,10401

MEVOTECH Part # MS25120 More Info

Front Left Lower Front

MEVOTECH Part # MS25121 More Info

Front Right Lower Front

Picture 2 may be a problem also. The torn bellows in picture 2 protects the inner tie rod from dirt. You should have the whole front end inspected. My guess is that your tie rods are worn and will be causing you problems very soon if they aren't all ready.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441772,parttype,7428

If you need the inner tie rods, you'll need 2

MEVOTECH Part # MEV80702 More Info {#EV80702}
Front Inner

If you need out tie rod ends, you'll also need 2

MEVOTECH Part # MES3571 More Info {#ES3571, MS25600}

RWD; FRONT OUTER

i had knocking going over bumps at slow speeds, i changed damn near eveything under the front end and still had the samae noise. it ended up being my strut mounts, so check those before you go spending alot of money on parts that may be needed, but are not a major problem. 05 2005 Dodge Magnum Strut Mount - Suspension - KYB, Front - PartsGeek
Good heads up and those should be checked as well. But if you look at the pictures he's posted, he has several confirmed issues that need to be replaced!

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
I have what sounds like the same problem...
Then you too, need to thoroughly inspect the front suspension components.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
We should try convince someone to host a group buy on an entire front end package aha.

I thought our front ends were based off a Mercedes design? Why are they so shitty?

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
It could be that the suspension component longevity can be increased by using better quality parts. (springs, dampers, etc.) I had to replace the tension struts, inner and outer tie rods 1 time each and that was before I installed my first Eibach suspension kit. Since that time (5+ years), I have had no suspension issues what-so-ever. It's just a theory, but it's all I got.....Lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh wow, yeah seriously i should just replace it all. Again I really appreciate the help. My final question (I swear) is do i need to get an alignment done after changing the stabilizer bar links? Control arm i'm guessing yes. I'm just not sure about the strut stabilizer link (the first problem).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"
Picture 2 may be a problem also. The torn bellows in picture 2 protects the inner tie rod from dirt. You should have the whole front end inspected. My guess is that your tie rods are worn and will be causing you problems very soon if they aren't all ready.
"

The bellows... can they be purchased separately?

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i ordered the parts and changes the strut stabilizer link. ty fireman..... the knocking went away. U truely are the magnum guru.

Respect, beans, love and all good things to you Sir Fireman :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts