Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of leaking chrome wheels? I took my car in for rotation and balance and the tech told me that I had a slow leak but no apparent wheel damage. Does anyone have a solution besides replacement?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Did the "technician" happen to mention where the wheel was leaking from? Was it leaking at the valve stem?

It's very rare to have a wheel that leaks, however in the past, some of the really cheaply made, cast wheels were so porous, they actually did lose air by allowing it to migrate through the casting.

I don't know what material your wheels are made of, so it's kinda hard to make anything more than a S.W.A.G.... a Scientific Wild Assed Guess on how to remedy your situation.

Years back, I had a buddy who did have a porous wheel. He dismounted the tire, sanded and prepped the area of the wheel, inside where the tire would sit, then primed and painted it with numerous coats of a kind of rubberized paint. It was about as Mickey Mouse way of "fixing" problem as I could think of, but it worked. Keep in mind, this wheel was being used on a sand buggy, not a car he was running on the street daily.

If you actually do have a wheel that's leaking, I get it off the car... there very well could be some serious structural issues with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If its leaking from the lip, you can try scuffing around the lip and have the mounting tech get a nice coating with the sealer, not a heavy coat, just make sure the whole lip gets hit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back in highschool I used to bust tires at a tire shop we would occasionally get rims that the Chrome overtime started chipping away inside of the tire due to some of the moisture from the air in it and it would cause gaps between the rim and the bead we would grind down some of the chipping Chrome and use a bead sealer for a temporary fix preventive maintenance for this is to have your tires filled with nitrogen instead of just regular air

1 - 4 of 4 Posts