Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I taught I taw a puddy tat....
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm gonna tint my OEM taillights but I want to replace the tail / brake light bulb with the BRIGHTEST LED replacement bulb I can find. I've looked around and have seen A LOT of different ones! Does anybody have any brand / type recommendations? I was considering the "spider" type that open up after you insert them into the opening, any thoughts. Thanks.

·
Don't Tick Off the TIKI
1,109 Posts
That good that you wanna sell them huh??? I was interested in doing the same thing and was starting to look into led bulbs but if they arent worth holding onto then I am not too sure.

·
Going through Magnum withdraws
1,780 Posts
I bought a set for my Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago and was not happy with them! There was hardly any difference from tail to brake! I am sure the ones that are out now are better, from what I have seen the ones from AAC look pretty good. I do like the looks of the spider light, I would say go for it!!

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
With the layout of the bulds in the stock Magnum tailight the spider bulb would most likely hit the side and not fully open up....Tied it a few years ago...

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the layout of the bulds in the stock Magnum tailight the spider bulb would most likely hit the side and not fully open up....Tied it a few years ago...
Thanks guys. Brett, after you tried the spider ones and they didn't open fully did you go with another kind? If so, what kind. Thanks.

·
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
3,790 Posts
Aren't LEDs supposed to pull less power than standard bulbs? If so, why would it be blowing fuses (assuming a proper install)? Then again, if you have enough LEDs in that "bulb" it may end up drawing more power than before.

With my LED tail lights (entire light housing, not just the bulb), there are 15 LEDs where there used to be one light bulb for the brake light. No electirical problems at all.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
jim notpaidfor was tell me he got a set from a local parts house installed them on his srt and they took out the fuses for the lights he had to take them out
Sorry to say, but this is TRUE! I bought the led's bulbs that had, I believer 7 bulbs circling one in the center. Installed them and with the parking light on; looked GREAT! Then hit the brake to see how bright they were and bamb! ~ No lights at all. Found one fuse blown in the rear fuse box and one in the front fuse box! Then... someone told me you needed some type of resistor... don't know IF this is true. So I installed them into my NEON, same scenerio, tail lights looks GREAT; pushed in four way flasher, and it burned OUT. Took those things back and got my $ back! Stock bulbs in both NOW!

·
!!!GOBEARSGO!!!
3,874 Posts
hey Steve what happened to your LED tails we installed???

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey Steve what happened to your LED tails we installed???

Nothing Ivan, they're lookin' and working good. I just want the tinted look and was considering tinting the OEMs. And if I tint the OEMs I want the brightest brake lights possible.

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to say, but this is TRUE! I bought the led's bulbs that had, I believer 7 bulbs circling one in the center. Installed them and with the parking light on; looked GREAT! Then hit the brake to see how bright they were and bamb! ~ No lights at all. Found one fuse blown in the rear fuse box and one in the front fuse box! Then... someone told me you needed some type of resistor... don't know IF this is true. So I installed them into my NEON, same scenerio, tail lights looks GREAT; pushed in four way flasher, and it burned OUT. Took those things back and got my $ back! Stock bulbs in both NOW!
Thanks for the info Jim!

·
!!!GOBEARSGO!!!
3,874 Posts
Oh k gotcha check autolumination.I'm pretty sure you have to run some sort of relay so it won't blink really fast.This too may be the reason it kept blowin fuses on the shadow of Notpaidfor

·
"INSTITUTIONALIZED"
5,718 Posts
U dont need any of that stuff,save yer money.Tint yer tailz and leave the 1'z it came wit-U'll B fine!!!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
That good that you wanna sell them huh??? I was interested in doing the same thing and was starting to look into led bulbs but if they arent worth holding onto then I am not too sure.
I never installed them. I'm just looking to cover shipping charges since there's no way for me to verify if they work.

If a local wants to come get them they're free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts