Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done this? i'm sure it's pretty straightforward, just take that plastic cover out, put some holes in it, and wire the leds to the cigarette lighter..right? any advice/pics of this would be great! thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
the only thing with wiring to the cig lighter is that they'll be on all the time the car is on un-less you wire in a switch. and if yer gonna wire a switch then you may as well use the 12v thats already in the console. here's a few pix of mine.
sunday mods
hey gentleman, just thought i'd post a few pix of the sunday mod session. nothing too fancy. a little de-badging, moulding removal, led cup holders and air vents, and i painted the trim ring around the gear shifter as well as the magnum badge and stuck it on the dash. i'm pretty happy with everything and its was beautiful weather to be out moddin all day. i was gonna tint the tail lights, but tryin' to get the vht around here is like striking gold!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eddy....thanks for the advice..where did you mount your switch? I was thinking of just having the light on all the time (at least when the car's on)...is there a convenient wire to hook it up to for it just to come on with the lights? I'm assuming somewhere on the shifter lights?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
The outlet in the console is on all the time, so if you use that, a switch should be used (as seen in Eddy's pics). I also mounted my switch's there but used an led array mounted in the lid for lighting.

If you tap into the outlet by the ashtray, it will be on only when the car is on, unless you move the fuse to the other position.

You can also just put the switches in a more convenient location.

I used some flexible led strips in the rear cubby sections that would probably work just as well for inside the console. They are thin, bendable and adhere with double sided tape. You would only need a small hole for the wires to pass thru. They are 12" long but can be cut shorter (which I cut this one in half for here).

Good luck with whatever way you decide to do it. You can get the switch plate from a member/vendor here for the ashtray (although I did my own). There are a number of possibilities and a few different ways to do it.

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
How hard would it be to do it like it would be from factory? The Mustang Convertible rental car I had when I was in Vegas had the lights in the center console (button to change colors/turn off), and it looked like it had some sort of lexan or something, with LED's lighting that up. So you never see the LED's, but it still has a glow.

Here's a video showing it: LED cup-holder lights on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I wouldn't mind doing this to mine if it wouldn't be too hard

·
Tired Boss, Dog Tired
2,909 Posts
Wheres the best place to gat the lights, I'm thinking about giving it a try if I can find them in purple.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
I don't know IF all the magnums are the same, but on my SRT, found this quite by accident... In the rear fuse box, where the fuse is located for the center console cigarette lighter, the fuse location has three ports, and I found if you remove the fuse, simply plug into the next port (using one two of the three ports), it changes my cigarette lighter to on full time to on only with the key!
This worked out great for me.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I've an idea I think is neat, and a question. If you really wanted to get tricky, wire the switch so that the lights come on when you open the center console. maybe rig it up to the button you press to open it, with a built-in delay timer set for a few minutes? I just think that, if I'm opening my center console, and want lights there, I wouldn't want to have to turn them on myself. Either that, or drill a hole and put the buttom in the lever arm of the center console, so it can be hit as you open it up.

Also, what are the combinations for the cupholders? I saw that Fireguy had omitted his. Is it possible to get a cupholder set up with two identical sized cupholders?

·
Tired Boss, Dog Tired
2,909 Posts
I don't know IF all the magnums are the same, but on my SRT, found this quite by accident... In the rear fuse box, where the fuse is located for the center console cigarette lighter, the fuse location has three ports, and I found if you remove the fuse, simply plug into the next port (using one two of the three ports), it changes my cigarette lighter to on full time to on only with the key!
This worked out great for me.....

Awsome info. Jim, I did a search and found this, might be doing this soon now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts