Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a comparision pic that I took at the dealer. Mine is without. The lack of moulding gives it a "lead sled" look IMO. I have been lucky and only gotten 2 dings (which were easily fixed). Also the moulding breaks up the high window sill that is part of the original look.

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
I also like the without molding look. I haven't received any dings yet in the area that the moldings would have protected. I did receive one just under the window in the rear side door, paint-less dent repair fixed it right up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What...you thinking like me now SemiHemi hehe

I think ive decided to take my side molding off, but not sure about rear badging...You probably saw my chopped pics on the other forum, maybe they'll help in your decision

-todd-

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
It is best on a warm day, just park in the sun to warn everything up a little. Just start a one end and gently pull the molding pieces off. You can clean off the adhesive left on the car with your thumb and the rest with Goo-Gone or any other adhesive remover. Give it a good wax job and you should be good.
If the car is newer you should get any ghosting in the paint where the molding were, if the paint is older you may need to buff the paint out.

·
Go Dupont Racing!
33 Posts
I also have taken the moulding off, had a ghost line that took a mechanical polisher to remove. I bought a Porter/Cable random orbital polisher and it worked great. I have seen one Magnum that had no clear coat under the moulding, only on one side though. It was probably due to a body repair done to the car before it was delivered, but nonetheless it looked ugly. The newer the car the less chance of ghosting, mine were on for almost a year before I took them off. The naked look is the best IMO. Have fun with your car and go for it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dupie, its good to hear someone else waited a year before taking it off without major problems...Im thinking of doing this soon and I just passed the one year mark this month...I also have a Porter Cable Orbital just in case

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did mine the 2 days after getting it. Knew from the beginning that they had to come off. Still had a ghost line there, hand waxed off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the paint protection option done on my car ( perhaps I should have read about going naked before hand ) and I am wondering what it will look like if I remove the moldings.

Also how do you start the removal process, just use your nail or is there something I can life one end up with, without damaging the paint ?

·
VinylDecals.com
1,757 Posts
Not sure on what exactly is entailed in the paint protection. Is it a wax or a clear coat or. . .?

To start it I just pulled up on a corner. It was a little hard, but got the job done. Other people have used fishing line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool I called up the dealer and he said it is a teflon wax. He said there could be some discoloration but I have only had the car 3 weeks and it was the showroom one so it wasn't outside to long. From what I have read that shouldn't be a problem.

What is it about these cars that make them so addicting, I keep thinking okay this is a good start, then the spoiler painted, then , then ......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Boy that does look nice. So if I understand you right the molding is just being held on by automotive adhesive? Are all the emblems/decals attached the same way?

·
Registered
531 Posts
All of the moldings and emblems are the same except one. That would be the RAM on the front grill. This one is held in place by a rivet of sorts. Most of the guys have custom badges made to replace the bumper badge.

Check out KGBPro's car link "Phantom Cruiser." He has a sweet badge with LED's. I'm looking for his Project page link to send you. If you’re interested in going this route, check out
http://www.domestickers.com/magnumbadges.htm

Regards,

Greg

·
One wicked azz car!
5,940 Posts
the front has two tabs and a post in the middle with a nub on the end.....I changed mine out a month or so ago looks good...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts