Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I metup with a local-ish mopar group at the nearest...if not only 1/4 mile track in the state. It was my very first time racing at the track, so it was a new experience for me all around. I made 5 passes before I had to go home because my mouth started hurting too much and I had forgotten my pills at home...DOH!.

Some stats for today were: Temp-95F Humidity-45% Elevation-2131Ft

Pass 1: R/T.280 60'2.317 330'6.283 1/[email protected] 1000'12.071 1/[email protected]

Pass 2: R/T.331 60'2.275 330'6.224 1/[email protected] 1000'12.010 1/[email protected]

Pass 3: R/T.102 60'2.751 330'6.789 1/[email protected] 1000'12.519 1/[email protected]

Pass 4: R/T.334 60'2.327 330'6.308 1/[email protected] 1000'12.126 1/[email protected]

Pass 5: R/T.332 60'2.331 330'6.416 1/[email protected] 1000'12.316 1/[email protected]

For mods on my 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 I have catback exhaust, 180stat, 91CAI octane tune, and CAI. I expected to get mid 13's, so I was really let down, but I just couldn't keep the engine temps down which I know was a big factor.

So, with that said now I think I'm gonna focus on some go fast parts now :D Made a deal with my wife that in 2014 I get all the tax return money, so that will go towards my 426 stroker build. Between now and then I'm gonna get some rear gears...maybe 3:73's, and then during/after the stroker build I'm gonna boost...wanting supercharger; but twin turbo is sounding really nice :D Plus the reason I set the agreement up for 2014 is because the wagon will be paid off then...so more money for mods :D :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pretty respectable times considering it was your first time and the 95 degree temps. Some drag radials and shedding any extra weight should get you much closer to mid 13's.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
You have a tuner move, Dur,never mind, just re-read that. Sounds like fun though, I never been down a tarck, sure it was a blast

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah, not bad times considering first time, temp and the elevation. Something to consider though, if you plan on going high boost eventually then you might not want to go with the 426. I've read you can make more power and higher boost on a forged 392 setup. However, I make no claims to knowing what I'm talking about, however if you look over on lxf you'll find some outright experts and they can give you all the info. It all depends what your end goal is. However I would figure that out before you drop the coin.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, not bad times considering first time, temp and the elevation. Something to consider though, if you plan on going high boost eventually then you might not want to go with the 426. I've read you can make more power and higher boost on a forged 392 setup. However, I make no claims to knowing what I'm talking about, however if you look over on lxf you'll find some outright experts and they can give you all the info. It all depends what your end goal is. However I would figure that out before you drop the coin.

Ya, I've read up a little on the pro's and cons between a 392 and 426 build....more or less it ends up being that you can build a 392 and whenever you decide to rebuild it/re-hone the cylinder walls you then have enough meat to bore it over to a 426 then. I don't think I will really be running my wagon all that much by then to have to worry about putting too many miles/stress on the motor to get to the point of re-building it...plus it is also able to be 440'd as well....:D As for the boost...that's one of the reasons I'm still torn between supercharged or turbo'd....I have always been a fan of superchargers...but I also love the sound of a spooling turbo with hi boost.....so it's just one of those situations that I've gotta spend time weighing in as far as what I want for the long run....buy setup once and not change my mind later to spend money on the other....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty respectable times considering it was your first time and the 95 degree temps. Some drag radials and shedding any extra weight should get you much closer to mid 13's.

I have some 295 Pirelli's in the rear.....only time I really broke traction was when I was experimenting on how high rpm's to launch at....on the street I always break loose when I hit second....strip; obviously not :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the bright side a guy who was there said he had been racing since he was 16...he just turned 40....he had a 96-ish Camaro with what he said a $10K motor in it and he was running 14.5's all day....so at least I was faster than him :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lt1's dont respnd to mods very well actually one of the worst motors gm ever made imo, slow no rpms no trq and that damn optispark!. I got a buddy with 20k in his lt1 and it barely breaks into low 11's

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,568 Posts
I've never ran any of mine down the track either. Sounds like FUN!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definately have the track bug now :D can't wait for cooler temps for a more respectable time :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Precisely why I have avoided our local track....no matter what my times were I would always want to go faster! And speed doesn't come cheap.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Your times are good man. You have a heavy car and it was hot out. I watched stock Camaros and Challenger SRT's at the Power Tour getting those times. Heck, even my mechanic/friend with his bone stock GN only ran a 14.9 or something like that. His son raced him in his cammed 05 GTO and ran a 15.4 I think. I've raced my Buick a handfull of times at a strip and ran anything from a 15.0 to a 12.9 just by changing tires to drag radials, race gas, and more boost.

As for your build...turbo! You can make so much more HP with turbos (I'm biased) and much more fun to play with. You are definitely one who likes to tinker with things so you'd have more fun with one or two turbos I think. If you can't decide, just do what Magnumized said, get both! lol. I saw a triple turbo which was pretty awesome. I've also seen twin superchargers before and one of each. You can get pretty creative in that department.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Those are actually pretty decent times bro! I been dreaming for over a year now of putting a twin-turbo set up on my 3.5L So I can kill these dang crapstangs out here. I just think it would be heck of a surprise to them to get beat up by a V6. And yet the incredible fun it would be just to drive and spool. Throw a sequential blow off valve on it and watch those local V8s tremble.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, surprised to see this thread come back to life, and sorry for not responding to some previous threads....I honestly didn't notice the added responses. Funny thing is all I can think about now is my build....last night at work I even wrote up a quick bottom end to top end wish list for everything I'd like to get together, as well as what I need to do research on for optimum results. One of my bigger worries is that with turbo-ing my engine already suffers from major heatsoak issues, that the turbo would just add to that. And, yes I have seen setups with the turbo's situated somewhere underneath around the transmissions...which I think would defeat being able to drive it as a dependable street vehicle without worrying about sucking up rocks, leaves, water from some jackasses sprinkler that has been running for 3 days straight causing a pool in the street, random squirrels that decide to scamper across at the wrong time, etc.... That is my biggest concerns from going the turbo setup. On the other side, there is nothing else quite like the sound of a high boost car spooling and letting off through a BOV....*drool*

One of the things I have been considering is the fact that come tax time 2014 when I decide to get started with this pretty much the money from tax returns would cover the block getting built with about a G leftover, unless I sell my stock block to offset the costs. So, since I'm doing this plan because that will be when my car is paid off, I'm considering taking a loan out against it to purchase the stuff for the top-end, stall, rear-end, etc....unless I get lucky and find somebody to trade my block to for parts. So, it's definately like a game of chess....just gotta make small small moves and plan 10 steps ahead to come out with a near foolproof strategy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the turbo idea but a supercharger might be cheaper. Turbos are going to be a custom installation ( very pricey) whereas the superchargers are essentially bolt-on. Either way it won't be cheap and the longevity of a highly boosted motor even with forged internals is suspect, so factor in repair costs. The stock driveline probably won't RELIABLY withstand more than about 500hp for long. Sorry to rain on your parade but just some things to consider.

·
Registered
374 Posts
had an lt1 camaro, sold it in a month got a 99 T/A ls1.. haaaaaaaated the lt1 -_-
Lt1's dont respnd to mods very well actually one of the worst motors gm ever made imo, slow no rpms no trq and that damn optispark!. I got a buddy with 20k in his lt1 and it barely breaks into low 11's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts