Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 Hemi and I've been having a major problem with it. Every time I smoke the tires going around a corner it stalls and shuts the car down. I then have to shut it off and restart it to correct the problem . If I do a burn out going straight it doesnt do this, just corners. I think when the tires are spinning around the corner it sends a signal to the computer that somethings wrong. I turned the esp off with my Diablo Predator and I thought the problem was that but it did it with the esp on too. The check engine light also comes on when this does this. I went to a dodge dealership and they did a scan and found there was a fuse loose. Well they tightened it and turned the check engine light off but ive had this problem since then.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
I just went thru the Allpar web site looking for your problem....sorry could not find it, but try a search on this site, it seems to me I read something about that problem on this site a while ago, sorry I could not be more help..Good Luck! ( I will keep poking aorund for you)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its not just my car its a problem with the magnums in general.
Yeah it really sucks because as soon as I do it the car stalls and I have to pull over and restart it (how embarrassing) Does your car still do it Radglenn?

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
I had a similar probelm taking a corner too fast in my V6 while braking.. How much fuel did you have at the time ?

Im am curious if it has something to do wit having a low level of fuel . When you corner it "moves" the fuel away from the fuel pump causing no fuel to go through the system stalling the motor ?

Maybe im crazy but this only happened at one particular corner. Now when I approach it i slow down and have no problem..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like something that could happen but I'm sure i've done it with a full take of gas and I wasnt braking. It does it when a really step on it and also when a barely step on it but the tires are still spinning. Ive done this around a dozen corners around where I live ( left and right )

·
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
3,790 Posts
I had a similar probelm taking a corner too fast in my V6 while braking.. How much fuel did you have at the time ?

Im am curious if it has something to do wit having a low level of fuel . When you corner it "moves" the fuel away from the fuel pump causing no fuel to go through the system stalling the motor ?

Maybe im crazy but this only happened at one particular corner. Now when I approach it i slow down and have no problem..
I'm going to build on that a bit. The gas tank in the Magnums, and likely the other LX's, is essentially two tanks connected at the top that straddle the drive shaft/exhaust. The system is set up to pull from the passenger side of the tank first and then the left...not really sure why (yes, it has two pickups). Obviously, with daily driving, even just cruising, some gas will spill from one side to the other. So, I would hope that it would switch back and forth as needed to drain the entire tank. If you are low enough on fuel and the power slide is significant enough, it may be possible that you are pulling all of the fuel away from the pick up.

Another possible cause is contamination in the tank. If you have some crap rolling around in the bottom of the tank(s), it may be blocking the pickup at times. Probably not, but it is something to consider.

Of course, if you experience these problems on a full tank, all of this specualtion is out the window.

I will add that I do occasionally go the fun way around a corner near my house (left turn), and have had no issues other than the ESP kicking in and making me look like a dope who can't pull off a power slide. Bad ESP!!:comp26:

Next time, try going around the corner hard without spinning or slipping the tires. If it still dies on you that should eliminate the ESP "bug" for sure.

Definitely strange.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on EMPTY now and it did it this morning so thats a possibilities. I can go fill it up full and try it and see if it stalls.

·
3,790 Posts
...I turned the esp off with my Diablo Predator and I thought the problem was that but it did it with the esp on too. The check engine light also comes on when this does this. ...
Did you try any of the tranny settings with the Predator? Maybe something is not correct in there? The computer will try to save the car if it thinks anything is out-o-whack.

Would a bad torque converter act this way?? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I set the shift firmness to increased with the predator but other then that I left all of the tranny stuff alone. Hey where do you check the trans fluid I see the tube that says for dealership use only is that it? I just got the car a few months ago and havent checked it yet because the dealer before I bought it did.

·
3,790 Posts
Well, you found the right spot for it, but apparently Chrysler thought that most owners were too dumb to check it properly themselves. So, they eliminated the stick and just put a cap on. You are will either need to go to the local stealership and have it checked or buy the kit to do it your self. I'm not sure where you can get a kit, though.

I've also heard that the place where the stick goes in the tranny (down inside) interferes with stuff when in operation. So, it can not be down in the "check" position while driving. I'm not sure if this is true or not and I forget where I heard it.

In the meantime, maybe go a little slower through the turns. Your tires, and mpg, will thank you. It's just so temping, though!!

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
Mine has never done it, the only problem I have had burning the tires going around a corner is spinning out....The car has never failed...I think Stingrayj is on the right track though......but I will keep searching...

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
OK, this may sound kinda strange but here goes.....Which way are you turning when this happens? left or right?? I had an idea and called a buddy that works at CTC on the 5.7 and asked him about it. So here goes. The ESP used accelrometers to measure the "G" forces when cornering. So if it is only happening in one direction it could be the sensor that measures this and it is telling the computer you are spinning out, shutting down the fuel....
I know it sounds kinda "Star Trek" but that is the story I got from him...GOOD LUCK and I hope Stingrayj is right, cuz it is easier to explain to the dealer....
Again Good luck and keep me posted....

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
hmm, it sounds like an issue with the PCM and ESP (traction control). The ESP is suppose to engage the ABS system to straighten out the car when the accelerometer tells it the car is more than X degrees sideways. I wonder if there is some sort of malfunctioning part within that system causing the car to shutdown, like some sort of safety fuel cut off switch maybe. Just thinking outloud.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its happened when I turned both ways left and right. The ESP is turned off, I turned it off with the Dialbo Predator. Actually Its stalled with esp on as well as off.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried spinning around the corner with a full tank of gas thats not the problem. I turned the esp back on with the predator and then I turn it on fully in the car by using the traction control button. By doing this the tranny didn't quit on me spinning around corners which fixes the problem. I think that the car senses something wrong even if with the esp disabled when its spinning around the corners so it cuts the tranny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts