Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my malfunction indicator light came on for no obvious reason. Car still rides, idles, and performs great. I tried to do the key dance to get the trouble code but wouldn't work. So today the light went off by itself. I was gonna take it to Autozone to get them to read the code but I attempted the key dance to work. I finally got it right. You have to do it fast. I was doing it to slow before. So the code it showed was 1004 then ----- then done. There was no letters before the code, just that number 1004. So after a long time scanning thru my LX Service manual, which I have in my iPad, I finally come across the DTC code U1004. It states U1004-CAN C BUS TRANSMIT PERFORMANCE. I wet to that section and couldn't really understand none of what it was saying. Something with ECM or whatever, with the circuitry. Since the the light went away by itself, is this something I need to be concerned about? My car has still been running fine and everything. I read in the lx service manual about how the DTC system or codes will clear themselves under certain conditions. Like after so many engine cycles or whatever, if there is no problem, it will clear themselves.
I just want to know if the 1004 code that my odometer showed is really the U1004 DTC code or something else. Also, if it's something I should really be concerned about? Especially since the code/light went off and I'm not having any issues with car performing at all. It seemed like the light went away after I used my windshield washer fluid, since it was raining today. Might be a coincidence but I noticed that. Any ideas? I'll try the key dance again tomorrow to make sure there wasn't anything I missed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this in that thread I linked, it's a quote from Folkkerpilot there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard

i just had this checked and repaired at the dealer. the code is really P1004 with the starscan.

It is a short runner valve performance. they replaced the intake manifold plenum. cost $1200...."

Folkkerpilot said:

"For those who have encountered this nuisance Code, here is what you can expect when you take it in to the dealership.

- If your dealership has the upload "patch" for this, it will take about 30 mins for them to flash the computer. My 5 star dealer didn't have the patch last Saturday. Service Counter said it would take 6 hours to download into StarScan before they could upload it into my vehicle. If you are lucky enough to have a Dealer upload the "patch", chance are the check engine light will come back on when you get a mile or so away from the dealership.

- The next step is the replacement of the intake manifold. Part probably isn't in stock so they will need to order it (about a 2 day deal) and it takes about 3.5 hours to do, according to the Service Counter. Now I haven't gotten the new intake installed yet, but when I do, I hope it fixes the issue.

TSB 18-003-07 is the Technical Service Bulletin. Apparently, a lot of the 3.5L's are beginning to show problems with the intakes.

Just thought I'd pass the information on to everyone. And byt the way, my key dance shows a 1004....no P in front of it. (Ref 2007 SXT)"

I really hope it's not my intake as that seems costly and my vehicle is out of warranty. I wonder could the big bully have made the code come up for the short period. The light went back off by itself, I guess meaning the issue resolved itself.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Just because the light went out doesn't mean the problem resolved itself. It may return.
The Evic will never show the letter designator in front of the code.

I found this -

(P1004 - ECU Battery Feed & Power Grounds) What this means.....Who knows

Caused by Big bully - Not likely!

I also found this -

P1004-SHORT RUNNER VALVE CONTROL PERFORMANCE
  • When Monitored: With the engine run time above a calibrated value, battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, ECT within a specific range, and the Short Runner Valve Assembly control active.
  • Set Condition: This PCM compares the circuit feedback to a calibrated closed range when the circuit is de-energized or to a calibrated open range when the circuit is energized. If the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized or energized state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.
Possible Causes
INTERMITTENT DTC
(F343) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K236) SRV CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K236) SRV CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
SHORT RUNNER VALVE ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

short runner valve is located in upper intake plenum.
#2 in this diagram is short runner valve solenoid:

Your car should be taken in to the dealer or qualified shop to be properly diagnosed and repaired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts