Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advice needed: For maintenance on my SXT magnum 05 with 160,000 miles.

Hello community: I'm seeking advice and I hope you can provide some input.

My car has reached 160,000 miles on the meter. I believe it is time some maintenance be upgraded or need to be replaced, on the 3.5L engine.

What advice can you share to keep it running smooth, so I can start my maintenance list?

It recently had a new water pump, thermostat, timing belt, battery, oil tank(the tank that drains) and a tune up.

these are the stuff I've added to my list:
Replace air intake filter (K&N)
Borla pipes
throttle body (any brand recommendation?)

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Things that need to be inspected or changed on a regular basis.
Change the coolant and flush the radiator if the existing coolant isn't clear. Change power steering fluid along with the brake fluid. Have the transmission serviced. If the serpentine belt is old or shows signs of wear or if you can't remember the last time it was changed......Change it. Also replace the radiator hoses if they've never been changed.

BTW - What exactly is the "oil tank"?

·
Registered
204 Posts
You should probably change the diff fluid too. Check out your suspension and steering for signs of wear. check for any cupping or uneven wear on your tires, if your tires are wearing out uneven then you may need an alignment. check seals and gaskets for leaks, all fluids, air filter, cabin filter, belts, hoses, etc. grease all the zerks, check battery cables,......that should get you started anyway. as far as oil, you should usually try to use the same oil that has been used. some people swear by synthetic, I personally use havoline. My grandpa used it, my dad used it, and lots of old timers I know use it. Nobody has had a motor blow that i know of, but thats just my preference, to each their own.

edit: repack your wheel bearings too.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts