Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my two 15" kicker cvrs along with the 1200 watt amp soon to a friend and am looking for ideas on an upgrade. i want it to be even louder than the cvrs. going with 2 subs for sure preferably 15" idk just looks better in the back of the mag (will be getting a custom box made). 1 or 2 amps not sure yet depends wat ideas u give me.. So ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
check out onlinecarstereo.com they got awesome deals on some serious subs, and everything else you could possibly need lol

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Audioque HDC 4 are really nice. They have 2k rms rating 4k max.
DC Audio XL or LVL 5 are very nice too.
The options are endless. What are you trying to achieve? Do you want loud? or are you looking for sound quality. This makes a huge difference. Also, dont try to cheap out the system. I have found you can cheap out a little on your amps. IE you can get brands like power acoustik and Hifonics vs paying insame amout of money for some kicker or Zapco amp. You can still achieve loud with these amps. However, you cant cheap out on your power. You must upgrade your electrical system if you start pulling lots of current. If you dont have enough juice you will regret it later.
As for amps, the options are endless because it all depends on how you wire your subs.
I myself am pretty dead set on 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-D1-6000D-Demon-6000/dp/B004VFFGX6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1326378792&sr=1-1
You can slave master 2 of these together and push just about every sub out there unless you start getting reallly deep into it and at that point you wil have to do some upgrades to your electrical system. I will be doing some upgrades to mine. I am currently pushing a single 1800rms amp and I get horrible light dimming so with 2 of these bad boys upgrade is a must on our magnums. As for upgrades, I would suggest an upgraded alternator as well as a second battery. Id suggest perhaps high current car audio battery like kinetic.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Audioque HDC 4 are really nice. They have 2k rms rating 4k max.
DC Audio XL or LVL 5 are very nice too.
The options are endless. What are you trying to achieve? Do you want loud? or are you looking for sound quality. This makes a huge difference. Also, dont try to cheap out the system. I have found you can cheap out a little on your amps. IE you can get brands like power acoustik and Hifonics vs paying insame amout of money for some kicker or Zapco amp. You can still achieve loud with these amps. However, you cant cheap out on your power. You must upgrade your electrical system if you start pulling lots of current. If you dont have enough juice you will regret it later.
As for amps, the options are endless because it all depends on how you wire your subs.
I myself am pretty dead set on 2 of these: Amazon.com: POWER ACOUSTIK D1-6000D Demon 6000 Watt Mono Bass Amp: Automotive
You can slave master 2 of these together and push just about every sub out there unless you start getting reallly deep into it and at that point you wil have to do some upgrades to your electrical system. I will be doing some upgrades to mine. I am currently pushing a single 1800rms amp and I get horrible light dimming so with 2 of these bad boys upgrade is a must on our magnums. As for upgrades, I would suggest an upgraded alternator as well as a second battery. Id suggest perhaps high current car audio battery like kinetic.

I am going for amazing power but still want that sound quality for clean bass when it hits, i did really like my kicker cvrs and the amp but just want more than what they got. i am currently running 0 gauge wire to my system. but I only have 1 battery and the stock alternator.. i have some bad light dimming to my dashboard. debating on 2 amps or 1. i am 16 so i guess im on a budget of around $1,000. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I am going for amazing power but still want that sound quality for clean bass when it hits, i did really like my kicker cvrs and the amp but just want more than what they got. i am currently running 0 gauge wire to my system. but I only have 1 battery and the stock alternator.. i have some bad light dimming to my dashboard. debating on 2 amps or 1. i am 16 so i guess im on a budget of around $1,000. Suggestions?
John knows his stuff on the stereos. And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
k, Im going to shoot something at you but it will require you do a little research. First, what type of box you have your CVRs in? Is it the right size box? Your air space is very important. Next, did you have you subs pretty much pushed close to max with that amp or can they take more? With the right box and amp, you can probably get more out of those subs. This is my reasoning behind all this.
To get a nice set of 15's, you are looking at roughly $2-300 a piece. Next an amp. Which will run you around $300 if you go with something like that Power Acoustik I suggested. It claims to push out 3.5k rms at 1ohm, which I honestly doubt it pushes that much. They like to over rate their products. Probably more near the 2 - 2.5k rms. Which is very capable of pushing 2 15s. even at 1k rms rating each. This amp would push them fine. Now, you are looking at a expense of already $900. I always round up because thats just how life works. Its really ever cheaper. Always expect to spend more. Now, even if I take your spendings down to 800, Which probably wont happen because you still have to calculate shipping bro. This only leaves you $100 bucks and you still need a box. Now I know all this sounds disappointing, but here is my thought.
Now, I believe those CVR's handle about 400rms. The amp you had I am guessing is 1200w max? I think you could invest in a better amp if the subs weren't maxed out in power with your previous amp. Keep the subs you have, and research that stuff about your box specs for those subs. If the box is not the right specs, Have a box built for them.
Now, You may of had the best set up possible for those subs, you can also look into some cheaper subs. I have been running power acoustik subs for a very long time. about 6 years on the same subs, And I have had no serious problems with them and they hit hard. The only problem I had was the rubber surround became unglued after years of torture. I glued them back down with silicone and they are still taking a beating. You could get some of their subs and I know they cost a lot less then your "know name subs". I have seen some of power acoustiks higher end subs on sale for less then 200.
Power Acoustik MOFO-152X (MOFO152x) 15" Dual 2 ohm Car Subwoofer
2 of those and this amp,
http://www.amazon.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-D1-6000D-Demon-6000/dp/B004VFFGX6
would compliment each other pretty well i believe. Hope I dont have your head spinning since I am writing a book here. Ill shoot you some more info tomorrow if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
^^^^agree sometimes you can get a lot more out of what you have without even realizing it!! For one if you build a 8-10 cubic foot slot ported box for those kickers and put a 2000 watt (1000rms) amp on them they will slam they love big ported boxes!!!

Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO on Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should look into Treo audio. I have one 12" SSX sub with the SSX amplifier and a ported box; it sounds insane in the magnum. Before this sub I had two JL W3's and the SSX out performs the JL's by a long shot. I think it has a lot to do with the ported box though, the bass just sounds better, deeper, and louder!

TREO Engineering | SSX Series Subwoofers

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You should look into Treo audio. I have one 12" SSX sub with the SSX amplifier and a ported box; it sounds insane in the magnum. Before this sub I had two JL W3's and the SSX out performs the JL's by a long shot. I think it has a lot to do with the ported box though, the bass just sounds better, deeper, and louder!

TREO Engineering | SSX Series Subwoofers
Damn those look like some nice subs I like the cxt myself 20,000 watts I bet those things ain't cheap!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn those look like some nice subs I like the cxt myself 20,000 watts I bet those things ain't cheap!!

yeah the cxt has to be ridiculous lol. ive been goin to the same audioshop for almost 10 years and he got me to switch over to these subs. if you like serious bass, check them out!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the cxt has to be ridiculous lol. ive been goin to the same audioshop for almost 10 years and he got me to switch over to these subs. if you like serious bass, check them out!
Those Treo subs look nice but doesnt look like they have a dealer anywhere near me.. :/

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just picked up a JL Audio off of Craigslist, it's a 12 W7. Ive had all kinds of kickers and fosgates and and off the wall brand subs. This one 12" sub will out perform most other subs on the market. If you want good clean sound that's the way I'd go. Someone on CL is selling a pair of 12W7's for $700.00 that's what they retail for each. Check it out.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.077931,-122.189424

1 - 12 of 12 Posts