Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wiring harness has 2 power and 2 ground, yet the head unit wiring only has one of each. Do i leave a power and a wire loose(capped off) or do i splice both into the one wire? Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody????

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Cap off extras, dont want 2 positives together. No need. Shudnt be anyway. Is this for an aftermarket deck?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya aftermarket deck. Also the stereos wiring has an orange(with white stripe) illumination wire, a steering wheel remote( blue with yellow stripe), power antenna(navy blue no stripe ), and a red accessory wire, that the wiring harness does not.... the harness has a ignition/switched 12v+, and a blue with white striped wire that i cant seem to read...... What do i connect the blue and white wire on the harness to?? the power antenna or the steering wheel remote(no wheel controls)..... and im assuming the remote output goes straight to my amp... What does the ignition/switched 12v+ do, and what do i connect it to( extra power wire)??

Sorry im a noob to this. thanks

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Ok, my appologeez. I been drinking. My best advice since i have not done my radio on my mag yet is to go to the12volt.com. they should have a wiring diagram for the mag there. If not i can find one tomorrow. Im on my phone right now. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My hat off to you for being a DIY'er, but please do go to the12volt.com like DirtyPana suggested. Wont have the wiring diagram, but they have great information on the basics. Also now days you can search on YouTube for something like how to install car radio and get a vid. I would highly suggest you find someone that has done a radio install before for the basics. The electronics in the cars now days are very sensitive to power issues. The radio hooks up to the Front Control Module (1 of the many mods that make up the computer system). If you blow it, its $$$$$$$$$ and possibly a undrivable car. I kinda miss the "good ol' days", if you messed up it was just a fuse replacement.

A quick lesson,

4 basic wires
Yellow - constant power - keeps radio programming
Red - IGN switched - Turns radio off so wont drain batttery with keys out (I tapped into the cig lighter with fuse #18 in the IGN setting)
Blue or blue/white - Ant or Remote - some have only 1 - works as a remote turn-on - used to control the power to amps so they wont drain the battery
Black - ground - completes the power circuit

Orange - Illumination - cap it - not compatible with LXs illumination
steering wheel wire - cap it
and in your case - power ant - cap it

I hope that you are using a wiring harness adapter an not cutting up the cars harness. It also makes it alot easier when installing because the cars harness does not extend out very far.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got all the wires hooked up except the igniotion/switched wire, but that will wait until i put it in the car.....i plugged the unit in for 5 minutes just for a test run make sure i got it all hooked up properly, and im assuming if i messed something up it would have blown up by now.....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just gotta figure out how im gonna mount it in my stock bezel

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got a 06 Mag SE having a simmilar issue. My wires were cut by some jackass (yes, it was me.), and i'm at a loss on what to do now. I soldered the wires back together, but nothing happened.

BLUF: There are 2 power and 2 ground that should connect to the harness. How do i tell which one goes on top? Does it matter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts