Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GEEZE even the title was long...lol here we go kind of a melting pot forum. Ive looked around and seen cat back exhaust for my 2.7 for $1000! Other mods also high, I come from the 87-93 mustang era were cat back is 375 and other mods are fairly cheap. Let me crack this pandoras box open. Ive got a 2006 magnum 2.7 VERY nice car and i got it for cheap. Im used to buying the v6 models of mustangs doing v8s and breaking prob about even. I just take pride in the fact I did my own stuff. Yes the suspension is a bit different and driveshaft, computer yada yada yada. From what I found a 2.7 is about 200HP.
1) You got about $500 were do you put it in a 2.7?? (I FOUND OUT THAT ALOT OF THINGS THAT GO THRU THE COMPUTER IN THESE CARS MAY CAUSE ISSUES?? THAT EVEN IF YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY YOU MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE THE DEALER RE PROGRAM IT??) So when considering mods such as exhaust and CAI does it affect your computer?? :comp26:

2) I got the OK from the wife to do the motor swap.(I am mechanically inclined and can turn a wrench) Ive got about $4-$6K to work with......WHAT MOTOR?? Think about it! dodge makes more than just the hemi!?!?!? I want 300-375hp. (yes 5.7 about 350) but what about all the motors offered in other dodge truck? Durangos? Down the line i will do suspension, and brakes, Im not asking for 500hp for $50 and 50 miles to the gallon. I DO have a hard time believing that its so difficult to get a v8 in an SE? why would the engine compartment size be any different?? To save money on production of mustangs the foxbody even had a cutout in all firewalls for 5spd hardware even if it was an auto. Dodge had to think of some of this??
3)if the rear end is different or the suspension it doesnt scare me, im just curious about the computer and what vehicles you can interchange out of??
4)for the price of the car and even a $6k engine,tranny,harness, and computer package I got I would still be under the price of a similar V6 around here with leather.............OK lets hear it lol.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Take a look at the Inertia Motorsports site for some ideas they have a few engines to choose from but by the looks of it they will run you more than 6k when all is said and done.

Maybe a stock 5.7 or 6.1 will be best to stay in that price range. . I am not sure though someone else will know more.

·
They call me Destroyer
11,579 Posts
brakes will b a big deal as well, the 2.7's had a diff brake setup

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the heads up man!! Yeah but that guy used a NEW motor. It obviously wasnt stock either. very nice tho! Gonna find out what he started with and what all he changed besides motor.

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
nyinstaller just completed his swap from a 2.7SE to a 6.1SE

just to clarrify
my original motor was a 3.5l with a 5spd nag 1 trans.

as far as the original poster I am sorry to cut the news to you but, since you have a 2.7 you are limited , i say that becuase the amount of money that you will spend will over way the car by far to bring it to a higher status./ such as a 5.7 or a 6.1

Ill give you a glimpse

in order to add a 5 spd trans to your system you will have to
change your shifter, change your internal dash wire harness to add a trans computer.

your best bet and cheapest fix would be to go from your 2.7 to a 3.5l you will more than likely have to use your trans since you lack the trans computer etc,. Plus upgrading 2 a 3.5l motor means you will gain the ability to use a diablosport tuner.

besides the fact that i am selling a 3.5l motor with 58000 miles on it, and has a ported and polished throttle body, as well as a ported intake manifold. upgrading to a 3.5 l engine would probabaly be where your at. I know the cars pretty good I can say now. since I did a lot of exploring and diagram reading etc when I did my motor swop. I am in no way an expert but I am not a novice either far from it.

and I know the components which are in each of these vehicles and the 2.7 model just has the lowest of the low so to upgrade the needed items will be a lot of money.

however if you want to do it I will be here to help 100 percent.

·
Registered
421 Posts
just buy a diff car atleast a 3.5 save alot of head ake... and the 2.7 is a whole car built for economics and well they skip out on brakes and tranny and rearends and suspention, really you need a higher starting point and that will save you money in the long run and alot of headakes....

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
just buy a diff car atleast a 3.5 save alot of head ake... and the 2.7 is a whole car built for economics and well they skip out on brakes and tranny and rearends and suspention, really you need a higher starting point and that will save you money in the long run and alot of headakes....
i couldnt agree more, same reason i couldnt see myself going crazy with my 2.7, i rather have a higher starting point, 5.7 at the least,and work it up from there..i"ll keep the 2.7 as the bad azz grocery getter..

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
actually the only thing going for you is the rear end. the ratio from what i have been told is similar to the stock srt which means your set on that end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont mind putting money into the car.....the last mustang i did had about $11k in it. I dont buy cars to drive stock or enjoy what someone else had done or preffered on the car. Ive never ever purchased a car because it was "perfect" stock. LOL I mean think about it? How many times have you seen someone buy a bone stock car even a HEMI magnum, plop down in it and go "god its perfect, I wont change anything!" Some people like stereos or $6k sets of rims. I want a magnum that when people hear it or see it, it sounds or looks SO agressive that they almost think the car would take a swing at them......if that makes any sense. lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uh oh! I just found out thru some snooping that I can get a rolled or wrecked dodge truck with a hemi (25k miles) for about $3,ooo! Its all there.....mostly. PLUS I could sell my motor and trans for 750-1000! Cost just went down. with stock shocks it might squat a bit more but thats ok. brakes are easy to upgrade. buy/build a driveshaft!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts