Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you may have read in the following thread I had purchased OBX Stainless Steel Shorties for my 3.5L Dodge Magnum with anticipation to hopefully sell them as a compliment to the ported throttle bodies and manifolds.

Well I performed the install over 1 month ago and have been struggling with exhaust leaks ever since. After several weekends under the vehicle trying to fix the leak I have come to realize the source of the leak. The collector on the OBX headers measure 2.75" in diameter versus the 3.25" diameter of the stock headers. In addition the shank on the bolts that they provide is to long and the nut bottoms out on the shank before putting any real torque on the parts. I replaced those bolts with new Grade 8 hardware that was threaded all the way through. Regardless - The collector to mid pipe intersection is a ball to socket style interface where there is little tolerance and there fore does not need a gasket to make seal. Well with the OBX headers being 0.5" smaller in diameter then factory and not including any sort of gaskets they leak badly.

Well no one makes a gasket of this size so I had to make a gasket which I modified from a Felpro 2.5" (non slotted bolt holes). I cut the side loops out of the bolt holes to allow for tolerance and enlarged the hole to 2.75" to match the headers. Well this works at idle and low pressure but under heavy load they still leak.

After I improved the leak at the collector I found another leak at the passenger side O2 sensor which I then removed and added some more anti-sieze to the threads and retorqued it. This didnt help - still leaky. So I cleaned up the threads again and tried some ultra copper permatex and reinstalled it and let cure overnight. That didnt work either.

So all along these struggles I have wrote multiple emails to Peter at OBX ([email protected]) non of which received a reply. So I spoke with him on the phone starting out very objective basically trying to pass along my findings thinking that they would want to improve their product. He basically just said let me know how it goes and if you find a solution. Well today I spoke with him on the phone and this was the dialogue:

Ryan: "hey peter this is Ryan from AEcarbon Ive been speaking with you about the issues Im having with the 3.5L Dodge shorty headers part number ss304. I havent had any luck finding a solution for the collector leak and I think ultimately the collector is just to small as the stock ones measure 3.25" and the OBX ones are 2.75 and there is to much slack for the collector to seal into the mid pipe."

Peter:"well what do you want me to do, the product is manufactured over seas, no one else is complaining"

Ryan:"well I'd really just like them to work and fix the leak, because like I said before Im still interested in eventually carrying your products, the collector is just to small."

Peter:"well I told you, all our products are made overseas, we dont make or stock anything here, we've sold tons of these and no one else has said anything"

Ryan:"I cant speak for others who have installed them other then that you have no other record or feedback on ebay of selling any, nor do you list them in the catalog on your homepage and I havent heard a word from anyone in the community having them but in short there is no possible way for these headers to work without serious exhaust leaks which cause O2 error codes but if you dont have any interest in fixing this design then I would like my money back"

Peter:"Have you installed them yet?

Ryan:"Well yes of course, how else would I know there was an exhaust leak or that they were to small to make seal or have gone through all this??"

Peter: "Then if you've installed them I cant do anything for you. Why would I give you your money back for a used product"

Ryan: "Uhmmm.... because the product does not work. How would I have known the headers would leak without installing them?? You advertise them to fit my year, make, model, and engine size which will all require the same collector size.

Peter: "Thats your bad for making that assumption! We cant make everybody happy. You bought the headers and installed them you cant expect us to return used headers you are being unethical- they are yours!

Ryan: "Okay so if something is advertised as to fit a specific vehicle and it doesnt, hmm You're a SEMA member right and registered as a wholesale distributer? Last I checked they had rules that specificy advertised product fitment for products sold retail and wholesale.

Peter: "This is not my problem, you bought the headers and installed them they are yours!" *** click (hangup)***

So here I am with leaky headers - cant finish my CMR tune because of false O2 readings and I'm out $300 and my blood is boiling from this complete inept disregard for ethics.

So in short DONT BUY OBX HEADERS!!!!!

·
3.5GOTU
1,863 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I think this complaint pretty much sum things up for his product, you need to post it over a LXforums if you already have not

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up, I think this complaint pretty much sum things up for his product, you need to post it over a LXforums if you already have not
Its on every major LX related forum there is :cool30:

·
3.5GOTU
1,863 Posts
Ya I think this well change his attiude

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
there stuff always been crap, ive a lot of guys use there stuff back in my honda/acura days, everything from headers cracking at the welds, to nothing lining up correctly to mount it...

sorry to hear it Ryan, but there stuff may as well be sold in pep boys..

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there stuff always been crap, ive a lot of guys use there stuff back in my honda/acura days, everything from headers cracking at the welds, to nothing lining up correctly to mount it...

sorry to hear it Ryan, but there stuff may as well be sold in pep boys..
Good to know now - ugh! When i got the product in the mail everything seemed top notch the welds were solid, the finish was nice. There was really no way of me knowing they would leak without installing them but here I am. Man I am p!ssed.

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found this tid bit of info on the ebay listing - yep no chance of getting this resolved:
All Return Item must be notified within 5 days from the date of receiving, to obtain a Return Manufacturer Authorization number (RMA number). The merchandise must be unused, in the original packaging and in resalable condition.All returns and exchanges must be accompanied by a copy of the sales invoice. Subject to 30% Restocking Fees. Any item(s) which have been pre-installed, cut, or modified in anyway will not be eligible for credit or refund. It is buyer and/or professional installer’s responsibility to inspect and determine the correct part has been received and deemed to fit prior to removal and installation of the part(s) received.The warranty is on the part(s) only! The cost of removal and installation is not included and will not be reimbursed under any circumstance.Shipping charges are not refundable.

They've obviously had this problem before and decided wipe their @$$ with the money they save themselves with disclaimers like that. Its like why the hell even bother listing them for a 2005 Magnum with a 3.5L... with that little tid bit they mise well just say universal fit - might fit a bunch of different engines but its your responsibility to make sure it fits yours. How the hell is someone going to make sure it fits prior to installation. Isnt that the point of advertising that a part is made for a specific vehicle. I mean WTF!??

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
VERY poor service......and a bad product.....the makings of going out of biz!!! Sorry you are having all these problems....

·
A disturbance in the force.
1,589 Posts
i would call the BBB. if the part leaks then it is defective, there should be no reson to deny return on broken equipment.

·
Station Wagoneer
1,389 Posts
All i can say is that the internet is a big place, and lots of people read it.

Go post over on LX forums, and any other car forum you are on, they'll get the picture eventually. Never give up an opportunity to tell others about bad business.

·
5,183 Posts
Man sorry to hear this! I'll be sure to put the word out to anyone intrested inn buying any of there product.

·
5,183 Posts
Wonder if dynatech makes them for a 3.5?

Oh and a question, might not be the time to ask, but speaking of o2 sensors, is there a good way to clean them? Or should I just spend the money and get new ones?? Hit me up when you can, I'd love to here what you have to say

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonder if dynatech makes them for a 3.5?

Oh and a question, might not be the time to ask, but speaking of o2 sensors, is there a good way to clean them? Or should I just spend the money and get new ones?? Hit me up when you can, I'd love to here what you have to say
They have a spray cleaner thats O2 sensor safe...give that a try. An unfortunately, Dynatech doesnt make anything for the 3.5L the only others are Stainless Works and JBA.

Oh and btw, this is posted on LXforums, ChargerForums, ChargerForumZ, ChallengerTalk, and here on CustomMagnums....it will get attention.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ever think of using the OBX headers as a template for a custom one off application? Shops are taking on all kinds of new business. Just a thought.

·
rollin and lookin good
3,694 Posts
Not a bad idea.... if you got the cash to sink into it...may as well not go to a total loss... they got to be A holes.... I mean... how the heck you advert for something that is broke before you put it on...."they're made overseas"... that has nothing to do with the word....quality.... anyway..... Cannibals idea might not be a bad one.... and if it works... show em how theirs should have been done in the first place....

·
Double-U Tee Eff
3,065 Posts
damn. if you don't mind, I'd like to quote your first post in our forums (DFW LX) seeing as a lot of our 3.5'ers are seeking performance mods and they might stumble upon OBX's trash in their search.

I hate to hear this, but the word needs to get out. I hope there's SOME way you can find a "sealing" solution and get your tuned all worked out for ya.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts