Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did an oil change on my car, obviously a V8. I put brand new Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil. I also added Sea Foam to help clean my engine out. A friend of mine told me I should put Liqui Moly Ceratec. I was wondering if putting the LMC would be an issue with the Sea Foam already in my crank case. Second part to this question is, does LMC really help, what are the good and bad things about adding this chemical to my oil. Any advice would be great, I really love my car and I would hate to do anything to mess up the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Use a quality motor oil (synthetic) on a regular schedule and forget about additives...................................

Bob

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Any of the name brands are fine. The Penzoil you have is good, I use Mobil 1.

Reactions: FloridaRT

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I use only high quality full synthetic and figure any additives my engine may need are already there. :) I use a half can of seafoam in the oil too but ONLY before the oil is due to be changed...generally about 200-250km before I change it. Don't want to risk changing the oil viscosity or reducing the lubricity enough to cause extra wear. But I have found doing this every 3rd or 4th change keeps the internals nice and clean. Last change my shop said there was zero sludge or build up in the pan (they scoped it for me) and for an engine approaching 200k they don't see that very often. I have found putting the other half of the can of seafoam into the tank bust before a fill up helps my mpg too.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yes I use Seafoam every now and then BEFORE I CHANGE THE OIL. Some will say you can do harm say if the sludge or build up is keeping some parts from leaking like valves that you may have a potential problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all you advice, I am going to rechange my oil again, I had no idea Sea Foam was for use prior to an oil change, as retarded as it may sound, I went and purchased 7 qts of Mobil1 5W20 oil and will be changing it out again before I cause damage. Lesson learned.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
Any of MY cars that reached 100,000 miles I added Slick 50! Just as a precaution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
146k on my SXT Police pursuit package with the 5.7L Hemi.

I ONLY use Royal Purple, plus changed out the diff with RP gear oil. Plus RP Purple Ice in the radiator.

As for additives? I ONLY USE PROLONG.

12 oz ENGINE TREATMENT

It is the best. It kept me from having to walk home with a broken tranny (they make engine oil, transmission, and fuel additives - I use all of them).

I add them in at every second or third oil change (25k - 30k miles).

You can see one of their tests - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSiS7UYok_Y

There are several OTHER tests, I saw one live, like the one above, minus the concrete part back in 1992 - I've been using it ever since.

Can't say enough nice things about it. I generally purchase mine at O'Reilly's or Auto Zone, the two nearest two parts house to me.

23+ years and I've been using both Royal Purple and Prolong the whole time. In every vehicle we own. NEVER had any issues since I have added Prolong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts