Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
VinylDecals.com
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should we be changing the oil? We drive mostly highway miles with little or no traffic and live in sunny southern california. I thought it should be on schedule B, which would be every 5000 miles. When my wife took it into the dealer for its first oil change they said it needs to come in every 3000. She didn't ask why. Are they BS me to get more money or should we be changing the oil every 3000 miles, which would be almost once every 6 weeks since she drives 500 plus miles a week.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm on Schedule B as well. I only live 10 minutes from work but sometimes I have to drive to Clients. I'm keeping mine on the B plan unless I would drive out of state or something then I would probably change the oil when I got back.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the luxury of a base hobby shop so I can do my own oil changes. One thing I have figured out that Walmart charges about $5 more that what I can do it for myself. If you use a good name brand of oil, 5000 should not be a problem. I just do it every 3000 when I use conventional oil and 6000 when I switch to mobil 1. I do synth oil for the hot part of the summer and the winter. If you have the RT with the MDS, I would do it every 3000 no mattter what, this way there will be less chance of gumming up the MDS valving system. As the old saying goes, pay it now or pay them later. This is the the first car that I have used synth in, every other vehicle it was conventional oil and 3000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It doesn't cost that much to change the oil verses the repairs needed if you don't. I run Royal Purple in all my cars and change it ervery 3000. Just extra piece of mind since I run them pretty hard.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My car sits around a lot, but I keep with the either 3-4 months or 3000 miles whatever comes first...Mobil 1 Syn.

Only on my second oil change (currently at 5100 miles) and I bought my Mag almost a year ago :rolleyes:

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
I've had mine changed every 3,000 by the dealer as part of the owners program and it's free. I'm at almost 43,000 trouble free miles on that program. I'm going to change to Mobil 1 at 45,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts