Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From Silver 2 Sexy Bullet
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been trial and tribulation on getting this engine CEL to finally be reset for the last time. Looking for the margin of readiness that will allow me to pass the annual emissions was becoming a burden. I am running Kooks longtube headers with high flow cats, so anyone considering the same, this thread may be of some big help to you.

I have tried a combination of a ton of items (simulators, defoulers, and spacers), but threw these codes no matter how I had them set up. This time, my fix worked. On the rear O2 sensors, I installed Vibrant Performance O2 spacers (part# VB11621 - pictured).

I installed the largest insert for breathability. This installed alone continuously threw the P0430 and P0420 (intermittent) codes. I installed a set of defoulers on the end of the spacer to raise the sensors further from the exhaust pipe, but threw the P2098 code. Once I took off the defouler extension, I tried the setup again, and went back to the P0430 code. I went out and bought some steel wool Brillo pads. I washed the soap out of the pad and dried it out. I tore a few pieces of the pad and stuffed it in each of the rear O2 spacers and reinstalled. The codes have not appeared since.

Reactions: Radglenn

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Pretty common problem with long tubes. Glad you got yours figured out.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Instead of Brillo pads with soap, why not just buy steel wool from your local hardware store??

No soap in it, and comes in different sizes.

Bob

·
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a few stops at the local hardware stores, everyone was out. This is one issue I don't think I have to deal with anymore until I drop in my new engine in the near future.

·
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ It continued to work until I upgraded to the 7.0L block. I got the same codes again. The immediate fix was to replace the rear O2 sensors with the OEM sensors. My builder retuned the engine after replacing them, but I have not seen the code snice. The sensors are on and operational because of emissions. The auto part places only offer generic sensors that did not seem to work well with the extra heat from the 7.0L. So if you have to kick out the extra money for them, do so if you are running long tubes. I am planning to blow it this summer and would like to see if that code reappears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts