Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I taught I taw a puddy tat....
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a lot of people have painted their engine covers and/or fuse box covers. The stock engine cover on my mag is made of a rather porous plastic which doesn't look like it would paint well. Do you guys that paint yours buy a new carbon fibre cover or are those the stock covers?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ive seen plenty of stock covers painted....a good primer im sure would help. Someone will chime in that has done one.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
They're the stock covers.... someone whos done this I'm sure will chime in, but they are painting the stock covers... something I definitely plan on doin as well...

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Some have sanded it alot to get the smooth look and some have just cleaned it well and then painted it. (me) I sanded some but it's not smooth and I've changed it a couple times.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
It probably would not hurt to use an adhesion promotor, then 3-4 coats of primer, and 3-4 coats of the base color.

·
Mod Gnome Wrangler
5,927 Posts
I've painted my stock engine cover quite a few times and the fuse cover just once (amazing, I know) --- Cleaned and sanded, adhesion promoter (the first time -- after that I was painting over paint), primer, paint, and clear. Of course all the sanding and stuff that's included.

·
One wicked azz car!
5,940 Posts
on ruff things like the strut covers i sand them down as smooth as i can then hit with adhesion promoter, 4 coats of primer then sand smooth down to 600 then wash and dry hit with about two or three coats of base just so i get a nice even coat then go back at it with about 4 coats of clear... then i let it sit for about 3 - 4 days and hit it with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 then i buff it out...

·
I taught I taw a puddy tat....
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the primer, base coat, and clear coat are we talking about any quality paint or some type of special high heat kind. Like Duplicolor engine enamel or similar?

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
I, too, would like to someday paint a few items under the hood, especially the strut tower covers!

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Painted my Engine cover, strut tower covers, fuse boxe cover, coolant reservior and those front panel thingys on either side of the hood release. All in black. Installed a new cowl. As soon as I clear the coolant reservior and install the intake, I'll post pics. Meanwhile, I've got some time to paint my Danko spoiler and Eyelids. The best part is, I'm doing all the paint work myself. I've also got this coming as we speak....

A tease.....Still needs to be polished out.....Wait a week.

Still needs to be cleared....coolant reservior

·
LX Aficionado
2,499 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts