Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okie dokie, Magnum fans. Today while running errands, when stopped at a red light I heard this sudden "thunk" and a deep rumbling from the bottom of the front end. I could feel it in the pedals. Lasted a couple of minutes, sounded like a fan coming on, but much deeper sounding. Car ran fine, but I noticed the oil temp was higher than normal.

Got almost to the bowling alley I was headed for, and the temp gauge started spiking. Sitting still, it would start rising quickly, but as soon as I started moving it would start dropping. It never made it all the way up, though. Up & down, all the way to the alley. Finally as I pulled in, it completely pegged out. HOWEVER, the car was running smoothly, no steam, nothing. When I parked, there was no steam or fluids being emitted.

Hubby says it sound like a fan motor blew, but I know I heard the regular sound of a fan on the way to the alley. Are there two radiator fans? Easy to get to & check? Easy to replace? Expensive parts?

Hugs thanks in advance for advice, tips, info!!

LilBit and her Mommy Mobile with Teeth

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes there is a high speed fan and a low speed fan on the maggies. It is also common for one or both of the fans to go out, my high speed fan went out at 70k miles I believe. You can by the whole assembly for pretty cheap on rockauto.com and I believe it's a simple install. When mine went out it would only start over heating when I had the AC running and I noticed it on a 105 degree day so it was not a fun 1.5 hour commute home that day. Let me know if you have questions on parts etc,...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
BTW, I just looked it up on rockauto it is under Cooling System then Radiator fan assembly. They are from $95-$100 for the entire dual fan assembly. I had mine done at the dealer when it went out due to having a warranty and they gave me a rebuilt assembly and only replaced one of them. It was around a $300 bill that they charged the warranty company and the rebuilt motor went out within 2 weeks so they had to put a new one in after that. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts