Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just hit the 100k mark so i took my car in to get checked out . I been having the famous front end noise so i took it in .... after a 3 hour wait and a 35 fee for looking at my car I was told the following ..... I need front and rear struts and shocks , the front need inner and outer tie rods front strut mounting kit ,something called a sway bar link kit AND front and rear rotors and pads ...... now the best part anyone care to take a wild guess at how much it will be ? .......... anyone ..... ? ? ? sit down for this shit ...... all that for a grand total of 2441.59 :OMG-WTF-B !!!!!! F-ing CRAZYYYYY that just mess up my whole all week ...... thats crazy ...... so i started to look at how hard would it be to change my own struts doesnt seem that crazy if anyone has a site that would show a little more and if anyone know of a good deal on brakes and struts as well ..... i saw in a site for all struts and shocks from koni and springs from eibach for 575.... i just dont know much about koni ... also i was thinking of power stop rotor kit with pads for 390 then someone said look at R1.... anyways if anyone has any info or any tips please feel free to give me your 2 cents as i will be ordering parts soon and seeing if i could do this job myself with a buddy ..... thanks guys for any input you might have ........

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
All of that is pretty straightforward to do in the driveway\garage. Done them all myself. Even the struts. It is easy enough to remove the springs with the right tools but this is something I find I am willing to pay the shop to do. If you can, take the old strut assembly to the shop with the new struts (and ideally strut mount) and they should swap them over for you. My shop charged me $50 for the pair. Put them back in reverse of how you took them out and your good.

If you're doing that much I might also advise changing the tension struts at the same time (if they haven't been done already) and MAYBE consider the upper control arms as well (again if they are old and nearing end of life). if you're going to have the front end pulled apart it is much simpler to do it all then instead of piecemeal and having to go back in again and again. And this way you know ALL the major wear parts have the same mileage and use on them.

And just my 2 cents from my own experiences but stay away from moog or mevotech. Many here will disagree but I have had far too many problems with those brands. I find the raybestoss professional grade to be great. But again...just based on my own experiences. If you have all the tools and parts together this is something you should easily be able to knock out in a weekend...and that is with beer and bbq breaks. :) Just hold off on the beer until AFTER you finish tightening everything up. lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on it I feel better knowing that it could be done with some time ... as far as the struts that is what i was thinking after talking to my cousin he said that shops would swap out them out if you bring them to them .... Im thinking i would new to buy new mounts . so it would be the strut spring then mount ...... as far as buying them do you know any good site ? only one i know is like summit or tirerack ...and the brakes Im looking at the R1 black set up . as far as the struts go i have no clue on what to get pepboy was going to put Monroe i think its called . I really want to get the pro springs for sure . but the struts dont know i just saw that site had the springs i want with some struts called koni for 575 .... I know the springs alone is 275 more or less so then 300 is the struts and shocks . I looked on here at older forms but didnt find much on the koni struts if anyone had use them on our magnum if its worth the 300 on them . this is my 1st time changing them on our cars .....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts