Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about installing a K&N intake [or Mopar] on my R/T as a do-it-yourself project. The SUV I traded in for my Mag had one installed when I purchased it so ...... I have no reference as to how hard or easy the installation process is. Any helpful hints or comments would be greatly appreciated.
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds difficult ....... Ha! I downloaded the instructions to see what was involved. Looks like even a semi-knucklehead like me should be able to do it. [double Ha!] Why the Airraid instead of the K&N? Also, does the intake create any increase in engine noise? Thanks for your time.
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
The intake will make a good noise when you step on it. All of the intakes I've seen are pretty easy to install. I'm runnin the K&N Typhoon, mainly for looks because of the polished tube.

·
Registered
344 Posts
HAD A AIRRAID BEFORE LIKED IT PLUS EVERYONE GETS K&N WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERANT. YOU GET A LITTLE NOISE AT HIGH RPM BUT IT SOUNDS GOOD. IM HAPPY WITH IT!!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. SoCalRT, your intake looks awesome. Good choice. I'm thinking of going with the 63 series intake with the plastic tube. [not street legal in CA] It may not look as good as the metal tube but .... the increase is stated to be a 21hp gain as opposed to 12hp with a little less noise than the metal tube. [I'm trying to keep it on the down low until I romp it. Ha!] Thanks again.
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 63 series works great! You will feel the difference!! It takes a little longer to install and the plastic tube looks better with the plastic motor cover. It sounds good when you stomp on it too!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.K. peeps ...... I finally got off me duff and ordered the 63 series intake. Thanks for your helpful comments and tips on the subject. If your looking for a good deal on this part, exotictruck-auto on Ebay had the intake for 202.83 delivered to your door. That included shipping. I'm excited to feel and hear the difference in power and sound on the Mag. While I was at it ..... I went ahead and ordered the Mopar hood struts that used to come standard on the 05s. No sense in doing cool things to your engine if you have to use that funky folding rod to hold the hood open. Not a good look. The "chip thing" is the next mod on the list. I'm still looking for "semi-decent" milage with the MDS system. How does the chip affect the MPGs? The Jet stage 1 is the chip I am considering. Any insights on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Registered
25 Posts
air

Sounds like I allready read what I was going to ask. If I go with the 63series whats the deal with this Jet chip I heard talked about??

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For the record .......... there is a seller on the "Ebay Custom Magnums" link that has a slightly better price on the K&N intake kit that comes in at just under 200 bucks. [199.something] I saw the listing "after" I ordered the part from the other ebay seller. [Drats!] It's only a few bucks difference but, every penny counts when your dialing out your Mag.
L8R
He e' nalu.

ps. My newest mod is a [temporary] mopar roof rack with surfboard pads and straps for my upcoming trip to the coast. [ I think it looks pretty cool with the boards on it. Ha! Like a modern day woody.] Time for a little old man surf huckin. [Ha!]

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just installed my K&N intake [63 series] this weekend. Awesome throttle response and a nice subdued sound from the engine. Simple installation makes for a great value on 20+ extra horses on the 5.7 hemi. Two thumbs up!
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I've got the Airaid on order. Based on installation instructions and price. The dyno readings look pretty similar between the two, and the Airaid replaces fewer parts being their quick-fit series. Will let ya'll know how it goes. That is a good price I see someone got the K&N for, most places had it for near $300, the Airaid was $160 at autotrucktoys.com (and everywhere else I found it)

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Hey all, I went with the Dubair intake. I did'nt have any experience regarding intakes or even mods in general. I have never owned a car worthy of modifying before my Magnum. It was recommended by Grinner so that's what I went with. No regrets. I like the polished stainless steel look and also the 4 sided box. It completed my Rksport hood nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with the Dub also,liked the stainless construction and the silicone hoses. Had vibration (sound rather than feel)under WOT that others mentioned with the Dub. One guy thought the tube was hitting the box??

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Magmania, your Dub intake looks awesome! [as well as the rest of your ride. congrats bro.] Gotta love having the hood open on that Mag. The K&N I chose doesn't look quite as nice but .... I keep the hood down most of the time anyway. [Ha!] The new quetion is, now that you've done the intake ...... to chip? Or not to chip? That is the question. [Ha! Shakespear in the Mag forum.] There haven't been a lot of responses on the subject on the "chips ahoy" post. Any info on how the engine actually runs. Any shift pattern changes. Milage. Positives. Negatives. How you think the chip improved any aspect of performance. Lets hear it "chipped peeps". Thanks for your time.
L8R
He e' nalu

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey... before you order it, based on performace, you might want to read the forum in lxforums.com.

I summerize... the 5.7 & 6.1 hemi's breath so well to start with, you will not see any performance increase. A decent exhaust will get you 10HP. The CAI WILL make your engine sound like it has a growl...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=19728

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
Yeah, I have heard the same thing regarding performance increases. Everyone I have ever talked to said 20+ hp increase on just an intake modification is not likely.
I did mine for the deeper agressive sound and under the hood visual improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are the HP differences between the Mopar, K&N and Airaid? I am thinking about going with Mopar for looks but I would like the most HP for my money. Also, I asked the Dodge service guy today about installation(cuz I am a mechanical idiot) and he said it is a $300 job because it is very difficult. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude ...... I have 3 thumbs [not really folks] and was still able to install my K&N in about an hour with "very" basic tools. 300 bucks is a total rip. Do it yourself and snag that instant gratification.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts