Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After suggesting Plastic Dip to a friend and seeing how his turned out, I decided to do my rims. Now I'm addicted.

Problem is, I love the look, but now it conflicts with that I was originally doing. I still have the side moldings and added some chrome strips to the front/rear bumper, and the black rims seem out of place.

I thought about 2 toning the rims, but I am at a loss of ideas. Gunmetal grey/ silver metallic? Any thoughts?

Poor quality, I know (crappy cell/poor lighting/usual excuses).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I say remove the moldings, or plasti dip them if you still want to keep the moldings

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, noone's a fan of the chrome huh? lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well you have chrome lug nuts make the center cap chrome and I think it will tie everything together.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks great man! My question is how do I get the plasti dip to stay on my rims for a long extended period of time? I've done it twice and the lip where the rim meets the tire always starts to peel on its own, trust me I never rub my rims on curbs. haha

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great man! My question is how do I get the plasti dip to stay on my rims for a long extended period of time? I've done it twice and the lip where the rim meets the tire always starts to peel on its own, trust me I never rub my rims on curbs. haha
It's only been on for 3 days now. But I sprayed the lip lightly and peeled each time off of tire so it wouldnt build up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cool buddy, thanks for the tip. I had the same issue with the molding too, I just took it off to solve the issue. The paint was perfect under all of the molding but there is a slight color difference, anyone know how to blend that a little bit?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got an 05/bad paint under them, so they're staying for now.

·
Meet Celeste
4,659 Posts
I got the 05 too. I got used to the bubbles..

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I personally like the look of no moldings. I took mine off using a heat gun and fishing line. Then used goo gone and got all of the remaining residue off. A little time consuming, but with a plastic razor blade or plastic putty knife its not too bad. I do have some lines left from where the moldings were do to weathering, but a clay bar when it gets warmer will do the trick. 10x better looking IMHO

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depending on how much time you want to put into it, you can strip the Plasti-Dip off and layout some pretty nice lines on your OEMs. Just decide how much chrome and how much black you want to be seen. Examples - Black background with chrome/machine face, chrome/machined background with black face, etc. Really your imagination is the only limit here.

Your moldings, you could paint the chrome black, paint the molding black and leave the chrome strip, lay down a pinstrip line and paint the chrome black (then remove the pin strip line to show a small accent of chrome), etc. Again, you imagination is your limitation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts