Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I logged in this evening and saw that there were over 8,900 NEW posts. Had not realized I hadn't been online in a while. Life has been hectic to say the lest since late January when my daughter had her baby (and she is 16, so I had kind of forgotten how much work the wee ones are!) followed by surgery on her foot to clear a staph infection and repair a torn tendon. Thank goodness I have a very flexible and generous boss.

Meanwhile, this past weekend, Grammie needed some time away from baby-mama, grandpa and a so-to-be-graduating-senior that is plotting out her room at Radford. So, I decided, I to hustle on over to the auto-hobby shop on-base and do some maintenance: oil/filter change plus rotate/balance the tires. Anytime I have the car on the lift there, I like to do a good look at everything from bow to stern (old habits die hard for a retired sailor) to keep from having too many unexpected surprises (like finding out your 16 y/o is 20 weeks pregnant - DOH!!).

I have been checking my brake pads every time I rotate the tires (at 127,000+ miles and still have the original pads that are not even close to needing replacement) & am trying to plan for things that I know are coming and buy parts bit by bit so I will have the parts on hand when I need them (okay - I admit it, I also was a Girl Scout Leader for 12 years). I have a basic understanding of the difference between ceramic and generic metal type brake pads, but does anyone know of any benefits to the newer "platinum" brake pads? If they are worth the little extra, then I don't mind. But if it is just another form of "snake oil" then I will put the difference into the can for the next set of parts to buy.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I am assuming that because you still have the OEM pads, they must be performing adequately. To be perfectly honest with you, I would replace these with the exact same OEM pads when the time comes. You'll find it very hard to do better than 100,000+ mile service life on a set of brake pads.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Became a conservative driver after having kids. Then, seems like I always had a few extra kids in the vehicle (in addition to, usually because of some Girl Scout event). Plus, add on the factor that my husband and son both have their own history of tickets & accidents, no one but myself drives my Magnum. The only car that I have had over the years that will be the one to keep. Maybe at some point I will have the Magnum with the highest mileage on the odometer, but if I ever win the lottery, who knows what could happen. Maybe I would collect more Magnums than Jim & Tee!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts