Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently many of you have had the same problem as I.... your aftermarket headunit has horrible radio reception. Well I've looked into this and have come up with the solution.

Apparently our antenna has a receiver amplifier for its antenna. What this means is that we have to tell this amp to turn on with the headunit.... sounds familiar huh? This is exactly like our remote wire for your subs.

Therefore, you have to attach the remote wire (going to your subs if you have them) and the power antenna wire both to the remote wire (coming from the headunit).

This will tell your radio amp to turn on and you now have perfect radio signal. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a factory radio then you should not be having this problem. This problem only occurs with aftermarket headunits since (for example mine is a Kenwood) and does not send out power to its power antenna wire (idk why). The solution stated solves this.

Ruesmag if you have any questions, don't hesitate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you have a factory radio then you should not be having this problem. This problem only occurs with aftermarket headunits since (for example mine is a Kenwood) and does not send out power to its power antenna wire (idk why). The solution stated solves this.

Ruesmag if you have any questions, don't hesitate.
Thanks man, Well i have a kenwood too (9990HD) hopefully this helps me out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess i never really noticed how poor my FM reception was. I'm always listening to XM.

I might have to check this out too! I've got soooo much tapped off my remote wire now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i have always had this problem,:censored: after switching out the stock unit to a flipout tv. i even put a 30.00$ amplifier on this line and it never made a bit of difference :comp26:. so i cant wait till i get back in there to probably replace my deck (due to the screen getting cracked from the bass of my newest system):haha: and hooking this wire up to see if it fixes my problem.. sweet thanks for the write up 717:hail:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
wow, thanks. Good info. Can't wait to try it. My FM signal is pretty good, but AM is crappy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah no problem you guys, always nice to help out the magnum family. Like i said don't hesitate to ask

Gangsta wagon, If you installed an aftermarket headunit, then did you buy an adapter to the harness that plugged into the factory radio? If so then you should have the wires themselves labelled to which goes where. If not then we need to figure out which wire goes to the factory amp (the remote wire).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently many of you have had the same problem as I.... your aftermarket headunit has horrible radio reception. Well I've looked into this and have come up with the solution.

Apparently our antenna has a receiver amplifier for its antenna. What this means is that we have to tell this amp to turn on with the headunit.... sounds familiar huh? This is exactly like our remote wire for your subs.

Therefore, you have to attach the remote wire (going to your subs if you have them) and the power antenna wire both to the remote wire (coming from the headunit).

This will tell your radio amp to turn on and you now have perfect radio signal. :D
Quick question, so the remote wire is coming from the stereo and connecting with the remote wire from the sub. But where did you get the power antenna cable from. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you bought an adapter to the wiring harness, there should be a cable labelled power antenna. Refer to the harness manual to determine which wire is which. On my adapter's cables, they even wrote it on there all the labels. If you somehow got the wiring diagram for the magnum and you spliced it without an adapter, then I am not familiar with which wire it is and you should refer to the wiring diagram you used.

See the beautiful thing about wire adapters is that they all use the same color scheme. So when I say that the blue/white is the remote wire then everyone (majority) should have that same wire being remote....

Car Stereo Head Unit Wiring Harness

this is a basic general wiring harness adapter wire color scheme. Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
WOW.....it worked :eek:mfg: :eek:mfg: At first i could only pull in the strongest stations and still had problem then. So yesterday i pulled the dash apart and was a little confused at first. I dident know where the wire was coming from. (I have the PAC unit) and its a solid blue wire coming from that harness. Hooked it up to my remote wire (quick question how much can you have connected to the remote wire?) started up the radio and boom i hit the seek button and it stopped right away on a station i knew i was really far from and it sounded like i was sitting next to the transmitter. All i can say is :hail: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :hail: :beerchug:

You Sir are a Scholar and a Gentleman.

Beans all around

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha thanks whom... im glad i could help. and the rmote wire is a 12v signal to ur amp. and idk if the antenna wire powers the radio amplifier or just tells it to turn on. But i wouldn't connect too many things to it :)

Like i said, i'm happy to help and glad it works for all that tried :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Black box? I'm not sure what your talking about... explain please

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I have no idea... it was just a thought i had and researched that some cars have them. So I thought why not the mag? :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts