Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help figuring out how to add some power to my 05 magnum rt on a budget. Where be the best place to start? I'm figuring I'll have 2k-3k to put into it to start. I'm not planning on doing to many mods myself although I am mechanically inclined I have a fear I messing up my own car lol so keep in mind Id probably be taking this into a shop. Any helps appreciated guys thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm no expert but from what I've read a tuner, CAI and cam swap along with some head work is where I plan on starting.
The stock heads on our years ( i have a 2005 R/T) have a nasty habit of dropping valve seats, so they need to be replaced
to prevent a possible blown motor so might as well do any internals (cam upgrade) while you're at it.

I've read many posts where members say the biggest upgrade; power boost, came from a good cam upgrade. Of course
a S/C or turbo would be better but it involves ALOT more money! LOL.

Tranzformer will be next along with some exhaust work. I figure just the cam swap, head work and related parts will eat up most
of the 2-3,000 I plan on spending, I will be getting a set of used heads to rebuild so my car isn't off the road.

Hopefully the more experienced members will comment, BTW if you search the forum you will find many posts on this as well.
HTH and Good luck with build.
Chris

·
Registered
628 Posts
For an increase in Power, within your budget of $3K... Your starting point would be;
Aftermarket Intake, Headers, Aftermarket Exhaust, Diablosport InTune.
Of course, you'll need more money if you want more power (as indicated above).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know of any good shops in San Jose CA? I took my magnum in to a shop and the guy seemed to be upping the price the more he talked about working on the car( I shook hands and left when his figure reached around 5k lol). I found a guy local who has a diablo Intune I-1000 for $280... How user friendly is the tuner? I've read about some issues with this tuner and the 05 Magnum. Also would I need a full exhaust "kit"? Any recommendations? Sorry if my questions keep goin on and on this is just the first car I've enjoyed enough to want to invest more than needed to.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I took my car to dito's motors in south San Francisco to do my cam and custom tune and they have a dyno. It's a little bit of a drive from San Jose but it's worth it. I spent around 3k on the cam swap (parts and labor). I also replaced the valve springs, pushrods, double roller timing chain, and an SLP un drive pulley. These guys are great, I've taken the car back for minor things without an appointment and no charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my car to dito's motors in south San Francisco to do my cam and custom tune and they have a dyno. It's a little bit of a drive from San Jose but it's worth it. I spent around 3k on the cam swap (parts and labor). I also replaced the valve springs, pushrods, double roller timing chain, and an SLP un drive pulley. These guys are great, I've taken the car back for minor things without an appointment and no charge.
Would cams be the place to start? Was mostly looking at intake and exhaust, I've already picked up a tuner and have noticed a difference already. Anybody know of a a good intake and exhaust? Looking for a low growl/rumble but not overly excessive

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sitting somewhere around 3k, and I have done a cam & valvetrain, stall converter, and a Trinity. Now I did all the install myself so I saved money there, and I already had a CAI/Exhaust when I bought the car, so as everyone else has stated, that is where you start.

My next addition will be long tube headers, which you may want to do before the cam (but it will cost more, around $1,500.) It really is a toss up between headers and cam for me, but I chose the "cool" sounding cam instead. Let's just say, I don't regret it!!!

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a K&N CAI, Diablo Intune on the 91 CAI tune, magnaflow cat back and the difference from stock is very very noticeable and well within your budget. It can all be installed very inexpensively too. Try it before tearing into the engine and headers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts