Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as you know, I installed a predator last week... so far I love it! But have a couple questions:

1. It seems that it has turned off my ESP. The dash light is off suggesting that ESP is on, but DAYUM I can burn the tires without even thinking about it!! And I really don't want to fork out a grand for new tires!! Is this normal?? Can I re-enable it? In the predator, "dyno mode" is off.
  2. When you change the auto-stick mode, you have 3 options: Mode1, Mode2, and Mode3. I have looked all over and I can't find ANYTHING that would suggest the differences in these modes? Anyone know??
Thanks, boys!!!

·
Danger,Death,Destruction
2,913 Posts
I have an answer for your first question Onelook, lay off the pedal...lol

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
onelook, I'm experiencing the same thing...easily roasts the tires, but ESP doesn't kick in. Also have no dash light on.

I'm not complaining, it's just contrary to the way I thought it worked.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
ESP/TC will be more loose, with predator it's like having it halfway off, you will burn your tires for a few secs before the TC wakes up, which makes it suck on wet roads.

Mode 1 on my 05 RT resulted in full manual mode like SC paddle hold, and mode 2 was like Superchips paddle kick, it will upshift at redline.

·
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
3,790 Posts
I'm new to the Predator and still learning as I go, but this is what I know in regards to your questions.

1) Part of the Predator programming involves dialing back the torque management (TM) function. I'm not exactly sure how this works but I do know that it affects several other things including the ESP BAS and traction control. If you feel that it is a bit over the top, contact the folks at Diablo Sport and discuss the issue with them. They can write you a custom tune for FREE that will put the TM back to or close to stock.

2) Modes 1-3 affect each car differntly. Well...not each car, but a lot changed over the years. Some people have found that some of the modes do absolutely nothing. So, you will have to play with each one to figure out which one works best for you.

Again, I want to stress that I am by no means an expert on the matter. I have just been doing a lot of reading and research about the Predator lately as I am playing with one on my Magnum for the first time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i have an 05 r/t and have the prediator and on my i only have mode 1 and mode 2 so but i dont like it cause if u red line it will lock it in one gear till u turm the car off but that but maybe it just on my car idk.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
ESP/TC will be more loose, with predator it's like having it halfway off, you will burn your tires for a few secs before the TC wakes up, which makes it suck on wet roads.
Yep, unless you turn off ESP on the Diablo(Not sure that function is even available), when you do a regular PCM Flash Adjust, then the ESP Mode should be active, but moved up the RPM scale.... Until you reach that level, the ESP won't even budge with you slipping the treads....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm also preparing to buy a diablo for my 06 RT and wondering what "side affects" occur from it. Being a novice to tuning I have researched about the capabilities of the diablo and I believe that its worth it, yet I would still like to have control over enabling the ESP function. Its good to know that the guys at Diablo will offer their help for free!

·
-=SOCAL LX=-
764 Posts
get the cool it esp mod...it full disables esp and torque management.

i used mode 2 for my tranny...it shifts IMMEDIATLY when i hit the autostick...but it doesnt shift at redline which is fine i set my redline to 6000.

the other modes u have to try them out to see which u like better..usually 1 mode shifts better than the other. stock mode is just horrible for me it lags.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So, as you know, I installed a predator last week... so far I love it! But have a couple questions:

1. It seems that it has turned off my ESP. The dash light is off suggesting that ESP is on, but DAYUM I can burn the tires without even thinking about it!! And I really don't want to fork out a grand for new tires!! Is this normal?? Can I re-enable it? In the predator, "dyno mode" is off.
  2. When you change the auto-stick mode, you have 3 options: Mode1, Mode2, and Mode3. I have looked all over and I can't find ANYTHING that would suggest the differences in these modes? Anyone know??
Thanks, boys!!!
I'm pretty much done for awhile with perf mod's. Have done the basic's (Exhaust mod, CAI, CAI 91 Oct. tune) and everything seems to be fine here. ESP on/off works and is quite noticable when disabled as I can just sit there and smoke them to my hearts content while feathereing the throttle around 5k.

With ESP on and starting from a 15 mph roll in 1st the tires still break loose around 4k (+/-) then again when I hit 2nd though just briefly.

Since I'm set for the time being and quite happy with my Mag's performance I'm getting in dyno'd tomorrow morning just to see what HP is actually reaching the rear wheels.

I haven't "modified tune" yet onelook but will for shift firmness after the dyno.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hope this isn't considering highjacking a thread, but I was going to go in later this week to the stealership and get the latest software update done so my 2005 Magnum computer is current. It's about $125 for them to do this. If I'm going to end of buying a Predator am I just throwing money away on this update or will it still be beneficial to the basic performance of the car? Or another way to put it is does the Predator do current factory updates as an underlying flash?

·
-=SOCAL LX=-
764 Posts
perdator is the best thing you can buy for your car...the update they are selling you you probably wont notice any difference

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever updates you get from the dealer will be overwritten by the tune from the predator. If you ever de-tune the car (back to stock) you would get those updates back, but once you try the predator, you're not gonna take it off! In my opinion, save your money and put it towards the predator or a new CAI!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have not noticed any problems with the 93 octane CAI tune. For me I use the firmer shifts, turned up the rev limiter one notch and disabled the MDS. I don't use the auto-stick mode setting because the car is not a manual five-speed (like some want to pretend). The Predator will give you a new car within 10 minutes of reprogramming.

The only side effect I've noticed is the MDS. With the firmer shifts, you can feel a slight lurch as the cylinders switch on/off. I hear it too with my BB 7db kit. This is why I am trying the OFF option to see what it does to mileage. Mileage does improve overall (if you keep your foot out of it).

In the winter time I return the programming back to stock to restore the MDS and ESP. It makes the RWD easier to deal with at times.

·
Double-U Tee Eff
3,065 Posts
If I'm going to end of buying a Predator am I just throwing money away on this update or will it still be beneficial to the basic performance of the car?
you'll end up wasting your money. buy the Predator and your Magnum will be a new car.

I know I installed a cam and what-not, but I was riding on the stock tune for a while before getting my Predator and WOW what a difference! just the 93 CAI tune woke that cam up! then, Johan, from DiabloSport, sent me his custom tune for my Spartan Max and she is a whole new vehicle!

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Will the predator reduce the life of the engine? There must be a draw back to changing the computer settings or dodge would have designed it like that so that they could boast of more horse power.

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The drawback is typically less fuel economy (although sometimes not the case), emissions aren't as clean, and the ride isn't as smooth (harder shifts, etc). Obviously if you're redlining it the whole time, it's gonna be bad, but in general, the predator won't affect the life of the engine.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Will the predator reduce the life of the engine? There must be a draw back to changing the computer settings or dodge would have designed it like that so that they could boast of more horse power.
Actually they did, but you have to buy a MoPar Performance Parts PCM to get their Approved Tune Upgrade
2006 LX 5.7L Mopar Performance PCM
Ofcourse the downside is that you would also need one of their Performance Tuned TCM for Shift Upgrades.... From what I heard, the 5.7L MPP PCM has a tune along the lines of an SRT8 PCM, but MPP won't ever give full details, as Chrysler says that info is internal only....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts