Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this is my opinion and not gospel. Just my experience.

I'd like to throw up something for those who want to de-mold but are afraid of the "bubbling" issue. I explained this to Gangster Wagon when I met up with him because he was thinking about it but shares the same concern that others do- bubbling.

There are three different parts.

1: The molding
2: 2 way tape
3: The paint finish.

People I find who run into this bubbling issue cause the problem themselves. They take the molding and pull it off (even slow and with heat), pulling it from he paint itself. No wonder some people have problems. Try tackling it this way- in two individual steps.

1: Focus on removing the molding from the 2 way tape- NOT the paint. In fact, try to keep the 2 way tape on the paint and try NOT to remove it. Use a plastic spreader and don't focus on trying to take the tape off WITH the molding. We tend to get lazy and want it all off at once, simple and easy, and in turn we cause more problems this way. This is where the problem starts.

2: Once the molding is separated from the 2 way tape, THEN focus on removing the tape from the paint. Is it a pain? Yup, but much better for your finish. Your plastic spreader will help, and some chemicals, but this way you are not putting so much pressure on the finish by pulling it up. Pulling the tape off is putting so much LESS stress on the finish vs. the molding pulling the tape off.

So try it like that. I truly believe if you do it that way, the paint or clear should never separate, ever.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
^^^x2... Also you can use fishing line to separate the molding from the two way tape. I used braided fishing line and worked like a charm. It will leave the two way tape on the car. Def do not pull molding off, especially if you want to save them to put it on later. Ya its a pain the remove the remainder of the tape, but well worth it. I just did this the other day and it took me about an hour and a half minus a few cig breaks and drinks.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Well I had once thought the same thing until I did the mod myself.

In my case the small bubbles were actually IN BETWEEN the two strips on 3M tape. . . in this case there is no way the tape itself or removal of the molding could be held accountable for them.

Also, my back passenger side actually had a slight depression as if the molding was applied with way to much force before the clear was cured and I have also heard of instances of the clear being shot AFTER the molding was put in place.

Your suggestions are good and will help prevent bubbling that might be caused by the tape but I still think it is a gamble with these things because so many different and weird problems have been experienced.

·
hit it like a stormtrooper
2,472 Posts
Thanks alot for the info.. I have been wanting to do this and have been reading EVERYTHING I can so I dont screw it up and screw my car up in the process.. This help alot. Nice post.

·
Don't Tick Off the TIKI
1,109 Posts
nope, didnt work. I have an 05, seperated the mouldings from the tape, soaked the tape in goo gone (it almost liquified the tape) and just rubbed it off with my thumbs. I think in some cases of this mod it might be possible for someone to casue a bubble (seperation between clear and paint) by pulling, but most of us that are identifying the issue are refering to what I would call micro bubbles that appear to be much deeper than just the clear coat, granted mine are very very very minor so I am very pleased but as far as bubbles...... if you have an 05 it is still a crap shoot if you are gonna get any bubbles. But nice write up and I think the ideas you present here will be able to keep some people from causing themselves a certain type of headache.

·
Registered
145 Posts
On mine I didn't pull a thing--I sprayed some goo gone over the molding and it came off easily with dental floss. Still, there were bubbles. The rest of the tape rubbed off easily and the residue was removed with goo gone/polishing compound/clay bar/wax, etc.

To reduce the bubbles, I rounded the edge of a plastic card (old gamestop card in this case) and heated the bubbled section with a hairdryer (small area at a time) and rubbed the bubbles down with the card. This made a huge difference and acceptable enough to drive with until they get sanded and painted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an 05 made in February, according to the theory of "the dreaded bubbles" I should have had them. Did it this way with fishing line and there wasn't a single bubble under there. Nice write up and thanks, been putting it off for years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome posts by everyone. I just bought a new 06 off the dealer lot. I wanted to remove the trim so badly but was afraid to mess up my new car. I was afraid that the trim was attached the way trim used to be applied(riveted) and that i would have so much body work after. Are there any issues with the paint in 06.

·
^you cant see my mag... hahaha
4,553 Posts
just did this today... can i say no bubbles... no impressions... and to top it all off no difference in paint color after almost 4 1/2 years the paint did not fade at all... i just pulled the moldings off used bug and tar remover and it looks like nothing was ever there... after i wax it tomorrow night i will post some pics... i was totally happy with this mod and cant believe i waited so long to do this... what a difference...

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
I want to do this to the 2005 magnum r/t I should have soon (could be really soon or the end of september....the guy selling it is waiting to hear back about an investment and doesn't want to sell it until then because he doesn't want new car payments to interfere with it), but I'm too worried that even if I get lucky and don't have bubbles, the paint will be too faded around it that it will be noticeable. Is it easy to put the moulding back on if there are any problems with the paint underneath? At my work we have both the white 3M double sided tape and the black (thinner) double sided tape, so getting double sided 3M tape is no problem for me, it's just the install I am worried about if I have to put it back on.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
I'm too afraid to remove my molding so guess mine stays as it... and I kinda like the molding myself.

·
Don't Tick Off the TIKI
1,109 Posts
I'm too afraid to remove my molding so guess mine stays as it... and I kinda like the molding myself.
I liked mine too at first Jim, but then I kept seeing those clean sided maggies and yanked em. heck, no need to be afraid Jim, if ya pull em and dont like it ya just put em back on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts