194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own an 06 mag sxt and lately i have been noticing that when you
turn the key in the ignition it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to
start. This is not always the case but lately it's happening more
frequent.

Had the battery tested...good ole 12.5. I was thinking an starter
cable was loose but then why would it start at all? It's like the
signal from the ignition is being delayed on its way to the starter.

Anybody else have a problem like this?
Any suggestions as to a remedy?
I'd hate for this to get worse and leave me stranded.

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
First thing I would do it check ALL the ground connections in the front the rear of the car....have someone check the battery voltage while you are cranking the engine. It may say 12.5 while sitting but drop too far when cranking.......as for Jazz and the 08... I would do the same thing, but call the dealer if you are still under warranty.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everywhere i check, they tell me that all connections are good and this just may be nothing to worry about. It also tends to do this when the car has been running for a while so someone suggested heat playing a role in the delay in the starter/ignition. Hasn't really been doing it lately tho.

Really looking to get more info into this so i don't find myself assed out. Soon as i get a clearer picture, i'll update the thread with what i find.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
It could be the ignition itself. Wiggle the key in the ignition, see if that makes any difference.

Do you have another key? Have you tried it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
same problem 06 3.5 magnum

when it gets hot it doesn want to turn on alternator fine so is starter i read on another forum that it could be they key is going bad and not sending strong enough signal to start car

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
checked the key...fine. the heat was also mentioned as a possible culprit. i did a check and tighten of everthing from
starter cables to battery posts. car has been cranking fine now for about 2 weeks. i'm crossing my fingers that the
problem was addressed and won't return any time soon.

thanks for all the advice and comments!

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
im not rulling out the key however in our cars the key doesnt actually send the signal to the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm kind of having a similar issue with starting my car (05 Magnum Hemi RT). I turn the key to the start position and most of the time the car starts find. However, sometimes the engine will turn over for a split second and then silence with the key still in the start position. Then the engine will either go ahead and start or there will be a grinding noise as if the starter and the flywheel are not making good contact. When that happens I immediately let go of the key. When I try again the car will start with no problems. I had the starter replaced but didn't help any. This problem never happens when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
65 Posts
just recently bought a 2006 Magnum R/T, so I'm not familiar with Mopars. My wife has a 2014 Grand Caravan & I just got rid of a 2004 Dakota, but have not done much with them. I used to own a 1987 Firebird T/A and did quite a bit of work on GM Fbody cars (Camaro & Firebird). They were famous for starting problems. Looking at a wiring diagram for my car I found 14 electrical connections between the battery & the starter solenoid. When we checked out the electrical system at a buddies shop, I had a solid 12.5 volts at the battery, but only 8.5 at the starter solenoid actuator connection. I had 12.5 at the starter + battery connection, but 8.5 was not enough to cause the solenoid to pull in.

I mounted a small Bosch relay near the starter. We ran a wire directly from the battery+ terminal to the n.o. contact on the relay. Ran a wire from the common side of the relay points to the starter solenoid. We moved the original starter solenoid actuator wire to one side of the relay coil and the other side of the coil received a wire that went to ground on the engine block.

I still had a consistent 2-3 second delay when I started the car. Not sure if it was the time for the power to get to the relay coil, or if the relay coil took that long to energize with only 8.5 volts, but I had reliable starting from then on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts