Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry that this is so stupid but I know next to nothing about wiring lights.
I've wanted halos really bad because they look sick, but being my age I can't afford to buy them and plus my current headlights are pretty cool IMO. So there's this shop near me that sells strips of leds for cheap and i want to get them and make my own halos but the only problem is I don't know how to wire them so that they're daytime running.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
I have my halos wired to a switch inside the car, I can turn them on whenever I want. Go to AutoZone and a get two spools of wire. One red, one black. It's easier to keep track of your wiring that way. Wire the LEDs (red) over to your postitive terminal under the hood so you have constant power. Ground them (black) usin the chassis nut behind your headlights. Run red and black wires to the inside of the car and connect it to the switch. Now you can run the LEDs without cuttin into any of your OEM wiring. A black wire will ground the switch, one connects from the terminal, one connects to your LEDs. It's a three prong switch.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
The cleanest way to do it is to put a small hole thru the firewall to run the wires. There's a rubber piece somewhere behind the steering wheel. I wasn't able to find it so I ran it around where the fender and driver's door meet, then wrapped it up with electrical tape and zip ties that I trimmed. It sounds really sloppy, but I don't even notice it. It's maybe 3 inches of visible wire that's only noticeable is the door is wide open and you actually look for it. Plus, the electrical tape hides the red wiring which also helps it become less noticeable. From there, I tucked it behind the interior panel near the door. I ran the wires behind the panel in the foot well and behind the radio bezel to install the switch in my ashtray that I don't use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Somewhere within the first few inches of wire from where you got your power from, you had better put a fuse. Otherwise if your power wire grounds out and you don't have it fused, you run the risk of burning your car to the ground. Not knocking Frost, but you should never ever run any wiring through a door jamb as this increases the chances of pinching and grounding out your wries. There are rubber plugs in the firewall that you should use to run wiring through to prevent the wires from rubbing, chafing and eventually grounding out and causing issues.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
I forgot about the fuse. Thanks for addin that. I knew I was supposed to go thru the firewall but I just couldn't find the spot I was bein told to look for. I would have preferred to do it that way. I wired my halos 2 years ago, maybe if I take a second look I can find the spot.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Somewhere within the first few inches of wire from where you got your power from, you had better put a fuse. Otherwise if your power wire grounds out and you don't have it fused, you run the risk of burning your car to the ground. Not knocking Frost, but you should never ever run any wiring through a door jamb as this increases the chances of pinching and grounding out your wries. There are rubber plugs in the firewall that you should use to run wiring through to prevent the wires from rubbing, chafing and eventually grounding out and causing issues.
I second that, don't run through the area by the door. Or any place that moves. you can get grommets at any hardware store, if you can't find the spot the stock wires go through. Just be sure that you measure multiple times so you don't go through anything else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Lol you guys are making me think again about just saving up for new halo headlights
If not I'll just have to go through with this
The projector headlights are garbage. Mine only lasted three months, that's how I ended up with halos. Here's a quick review on those headlights... Light output is crap, halos are dim, LEDs burn out, inverters melt and blow fuses on your car, they're NOT plug and play as advertised, the instructions are printed in Chinese. Now, they're sittin in my basement and I can't even give em away. It was the worst $200 I ever spent.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Man ! Y'all hate my wiring job ! LOL. I haven't has a single problem with it after 2 years and the wires aren't even noticeable. It's cool, man... it's cool. I'm just gonna go hang out over there for a while... by myself.

·
Meet Celeste
4,660 Posts
What I did from my grille L.E.D's was using a flashlight to look for a hole in the firewall. Found one and slid the wires right through.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
OK, 'givin em away' was an exaggeration. I've offered em up for $50 on a few occasions and got declined. Why... do you want em ?
We might gave to revisit that thread! ...
The firewall entrance is simple. Pop the hood, pull open the brake fluid cover lid thing(has a lift tab and vents on it), locate the wire cluster, and push a piece of hard wire through with your actually wires taped to the, remove the covers under the dash(floor one pops off, next one pops off, then 2 screws and pop off under the steering wheel) and you'll see where the wires coming through.
Also, what exactly is the LED plan?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts