Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some input on what could have caused this, i have a 2006 dodge magnum sxt,and my radiator fan blade snapped and i had no idea and while i went out and was driving it, unaware that the radiator fan was non operable, my car overheated in the in-n-out drive through which is kind of embarrassing. As soon as i saw the steam the temperature guage shot up immediately and started beeping at me so i immediately turned the car off popped the hood and let everything cool down before i took a look at it. What i did see was that my engine coolant was bubbling which was giving off the steam.

For all i know the radiator fan is replaced easily and i can fix the coolant by adding more, but is there a chance that i screwed up the radiator and have to install a new one? Or is the fan replacable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Fan assembly on rock auto is about 100 bucks and takes 30 min install. broken,stopped fans are common.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did order the assembly already but i was looking at some forums and some people are saying it could have caused radiator damage

·
Registered
809 Posts
There was a Customer Service Notification L08 (Recall) on the fan assembly where the fans would break and possibly go through the radiator. May be worth looking up and it may cover radiator damage.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Actually happened to me on monday. Fan blade snapped off and ebeded itself in the radiator. I knew about the "customer service" thing Mikey97d spoke of however when i called the local dodge dealer they were less than helpful basically saying im on my own.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Replacing the assembly isn't very difficult or time consuming, 4 bolts at the four corners of the assembly and two wiring harness clips to unplug if I remember correctly. I think it then slides out from the top of the engine bay. As far as damage to the radiator, you could probably determine on your own with a visual inspection and it'd be even easier with the fan assembly out of the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced a fan and radiator about a year ago because the fan came apart and punctured the rad.
Today the other fan did the same thing, I replaced the rad. but am reluctant to replace the fan with the same P/N does anybody know of an upgrade?

·
Registered
18 Posts
There was a Customer Service Notification L08 (Recall) on the fan assembly where the fans would break and possibly go through the radiator. May be worth looking up and it may cover radiator damage.
I'm pretty pissed. Just spent $700 on my 2008 Dodge Magnum r/t (not including towing) to have my radiator and radiators fans replaced along with coolant drain and re-fill.

As I was sitting at a stop light I felt a thump in the engine promptly followed by steam coming out of both sides of my hood and a rather large amount of coolant coming out from underneath the car.

Having just had both my value cover gaskets replaced I assumed (since I've never owned a car that literally shook and thus had coolant spill out of it) that the engine was dead.

After the steam cleared there were plastic fan parts all over the engine including a fan blade. I assumed incorrectly at the time whatever had gone "boom" on my engine had summarily damaged my radiator fans.

Came searching on here after my mechanic told me the fans had given out, exploded, and pieces had got through my radiator. I trust my mechanic but figured he was just guessing. Can't believe there was actually a bulletin about it...

Hindsight is 20/20 so I'll calm down but damn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts