Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to leave my car on the side of the road somewhere.

So with all the great tips I got from here yesterday I went to replace my sway bar bushings.
Passenger side went on fine no problems. Drivers side came off and new bushing went on.

Problem

The lower bolt on the drivers side doesnt catch. There's no damage to the bolt that I can see, when i look into the hole it goes to i dont see anything wrong. It just spins like it's not seated right.

thing's i've done

removed top bolt and tried to use that one, same outcome
removed the top part and just tried to screw it in to see if it would seat, doesnt seat
sprayed with liquid wrench to get any dirt and rust out of the hole, still nothing.

So I need some ideas on what I can do. the nut is welded onto the frame so I cant just use a new one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
mine put up a pretty good fight too... I think I loosened the other side to where it was just enough to stay in place to free up some play and went back and forth which screw I started till I got it. Also, make sure you got the bushing seated correctly, it has a "rib" on it. The other PITA was getting the pass. side heat shield back on beacuse I didn't have my car lifted very high. I read how to do it, and thought, "oh, simple...." but getting the tiny screw back on the top of the pass. side heat shield I wound up rigging a mirror and magnet to make sure I was lining it up right. Think I used a bunch of extenders on a 1/4" ratchet too.
...BTW, my ((rattle)) was still there. I'm considering removing the sway bar(testing it, see if the rattle reduces or is gone0 and if it works, installing a strut bar. I just figured for $10 and a quick attempt, it was worth trying new bushings. In my case, I'd bet some other bushings under there are shot/torn
GL!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Iglolo yup those bolts

@ D-Lash thanks I'll try it again when I get home today. Man the passenger side went with out a hitch.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Man, I don't know what it could be. I'd try what D said, make sure you got the bushing in correctly.. It might be off to one side and that'd definitely make it a PITA.. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Bend the bracket a bit so that it allows the bolt to get deeper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so the bolt just doesnt catch. I assume the nut that is welded on there is messed up on the inside. I dont know what to try next. I've torn it down to just the bolt and nut all it has to do is turn, there.s nothing holding it back and it never catches.

on another topic I think I'm going to trade this car in and take my loss. every little simple issue turns into either a 5 hour nightmare or a wtf. You guys have been great but my bads outweigh my goods with this car

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
It's a matter of becomin comfortable with workin on the car, it comes with time and experience. I've taken on some intimidating projects and learned as I went. Not havin the confidence made every tiny complication seem so much worse than it really was. I look at it this way... if I screw up, there's someone that can help me fix it. Whether it be a CM member or the auto shop down the street, it's not the end of the world. Just take your time and don't let your frustration get the best of you. One step at a time. Have you tried goin to the hardware store and gettin a slightly longer bolt ?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
You took the bolt out.........It's got to go back in! Clean the threads, both inside and outside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can put the bolt directly in the hole. It never gets started. So I assume maybe the 1st couple threads may be screwed up which is why it wont catch. I'll prob look at retapping the threads tommorrow.

I think I'm fairly comfortable doing work on my car but it's another issue all the time with this car.

-took daughter to school hit a pothole lower control arm broke . fixed that
- upper control arm broke about a week after that. fixed that along with the stabilizer bar.
-replaced the struts. upper control arm on passenger side broke. fixed that along with stabilizer bar on that side.
- replaced rotors, driver side caliper.

all that in the last 2 months. not to mention some other crap I had to do to her. LOL I'm a little pissed off right now but I'll prob be back under there tommorow fixing it. i have more parts to replace that are i my trunk (tie rod ends, inner and outer both sides)

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Check the threads on the end of the bolt. Get a rat tail file and clean them up if you have to. Then get some degreaser and clean the crap out of the threaded hole.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't see anything wrong with the bolt even swapped top and bottom bolts still wont catch. I've sprayed that hole with damn near a whole can of crap lol. I really dont understand why it's not going back in. I can't see anything wrong in the hole it just wont do anything, i've tried every angle, slight pressure, hand pressure but that damn bolt refuses to seat.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I've never had an issue like this......Strange. I would try chasing the threads with a tap. If the tap goes, then the bolt has to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My plan is today is to respray everything down so it's super super clean and see what happens. If that doesnt work I'll try retap the 1st couple threads ( this helicoil or whatever kit is 54 dollars at the autoparts store) Hopefully 1 of these 2 options will fix this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:

Ran a tap about 2 rotations into the hole and cleaned up the threads. Bolt seated after that and car is now back together. Thanks everybody for your help and patience!!!

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
UPDATE:

Ran a tap about 2 rotations into the hole and cleaned up the threads. Bolt seated after that and car is now back together. Thanks everybody for your help and patience!!!
Glad you got it handled!

·
Registered
461 Posts
cool, glad you got it back together.

Trust me It is NOT the Car !
People Like Fireman & Funkychicken can help you avoid or get past these kind of issues.
You will have this less & less the more you learn. (the more you know, the more you can control)

Don't give up on your Maggie!!!

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out... it's amazing how sometimes it's the simplest things that frustrate us the most. With all the work you're doing, you're gonna have a well sorted out Magnum and the knowledge gained by having repaired it yourself.

Luckily, knock on wood, the Waldowagen has been virtually trouble free, but short of a total meltdown, I'm not sure I could ever get rid of it... it's just too unique a car, no way I could drive an anonymous, blob-mobile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love this site. It has a ton of great info and people. I'll be mad at her for a few days but then I'll go out and take a drive and fall back in love again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts