Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into installing some subs (2-12") in my magnum. I was just wondering if anyone has installed some subs and amp into the stock head unit or if it was possible. I have an 05 rt magnum w/ navigation. I just dont feel like spending $500+ on a new head unit if I already like the stock unit. any info on this subject would help

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. i had stopped by BestBuy before and they had told me about the LOC. just wanted to hear if it actually worked well. Also if anyone one has some advice on the front door speakers. I replaced the stock ones because they blew out, when installing new ones I had some trouble trying to fit these ones into the stock housing.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Front doors are either 6x9 or 6.5"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah they are 6x9. they just didnt sit all the way into where the stock speakers were. i used some spacers to make up the difference

·
Registered
920 Posts
My buddy had the LOC adapter in his Magnum, now I have the system he had in his with my aftermarket deck and a larger/better quality amp and I cannot get mine to slump as much as his did with the stock head unit. So, there maybe something there with keeping your stock head unit.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Hey man, I am using my stock head unit with my set up. I went with using a Audio Control LC6. 3.5" JL in dash, 6x9 JL front and rear, and JL 10's being pushed by 300/4 and a 500/1. Man it sounds awesome!! Ask Bangwagon and Biggboy.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
They are also 2 ohm speakers
Yup! I forgot about that. Lol

My buddy had the LOC adapter in his Magnum, now I have the system he had in his with my aftermarket deck and a larger/better quality amp and I cannot get mine to slump as much as his did with the stock head unit. So, there maybe something there with keeping your stock head unit.
It may have to do with your tuning. I would more than likely think its how everything is tuned/wired. Also, LOC adapters have a gain control on them. I'd bet he had it cranked! As better and larger, are you referring to size or WRMS. I've seen some small amps pack some serious power. Also, what ohms are the subs wired to, you may not be getting the best use out of your amp. Not degrading your audio knowledge, just curious questions that may give a solution for you to get more out of them subs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have my stock head unit also and I use the MTX REQ5 ($99). It is no longer in production but you may be able to find one around and options are always good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yup! I forgot about that. Lol

I left the sub wiring the same as he had in his wagon. If memory serves me right it was wired at 1 Ohm stable....don't think he/we went 1/2 Ohm.....it's been awhile and we did alot of tweaking on it when he had it in his ride. As for the larger/better quality amp I'm referring to larger and better quality amp. He was running a 1000W pioneer amp, where-as I am running a 1,200W Orion HCCA amp.

Moving forward, I recently did some tweaking around on my head unit and got alot more slump out of my subs now....The overhead console bin/headliner flexes probably a good 1/4-1/2" now with the amp gain only at about 3/4 power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the one thing that i like about having an aftermarket head unit is the control though. with the 3 preouts on a good aftermarket unit it makes it nice to independently control the sub volume, through the easy ui controls.

·
Meet Celeste
4,659 Posts
I used the LOC and a week later blew just about everything except the car lol Oh well installers paid for everything!

·
Registered
30 Posts
look in to a RCA HI/LOW Converter. You can tap into your rear speakers and turn them into L&R RCA cables w/ remote cable!. its convenient so if you have a stock deck and run a lil thump too. with out changing s**t

thats what im debating now it i should put in.. mainly cuz i dont want to run the cables. lol it doesn't sound any different. i did it on my A4 and no issues. that's why they make em! you can get them as low as $5 on ebay. id stick with $10+ though just incase

check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XSCORPION-HI...item53fb9b4f35

had to copy and paste from the post i did last night explaning the same thing lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts