Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up and the Magnum was stuck in park, I was able to get in Drive thanks to some tips from the site so now just wondering what is the best place to get the replacement. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
If money is tight, you can just drill a hole and insert a cotter pin. Hook up the spring to the cotter pin and you are good to go.

Bob

·
Being kept down by the man
7,782 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ya'll for the info...I will be ordering the BT part today, but am a bit nervous installing it myself.

both suggestions are an option. as a third option you can take it to your dealer and have them replace it for you. it became a big enough problem that chrylser issued a recall:

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/pdf/K39.pdf
Will the dealer install the BT piece for me?

·
keep calm? IT'S GOT A HEMI!
8,394 Posts
There is also a doorman part that you can get from your local auto parts like Autozone, Oreilly's or Advance. It's cast instead of billet like the BT piece but at least it isn't plastic. It's about 30$. I posted several pictures of the repair and you can see how easy it is.
It takes more time to remove the shifter from the car than it does to replace the part.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just ordered my BT part over the weekend. I read a 'stuck in park' thread almost everyday. I don't wanna join that club.
same here, my BT park lockout part is in transit as we speak....along with a few other pieces!

·
Registered
103 Posts
1) Disconnect the cable that is attached to the "Pink Thingy" (it comes from the ignition switch), and leave it laying there. 2) Remove the "Pink Thingy" and the little spring. 3) Throw the "Pink Thingy", and spring, in the trash. 4) Reassemble whatever was taken apart on the console. 5) Drive happy and never worry about it happening again!

·
Registered
634 Posts
1) Disconnect the cable that is attached to the "Pink Thingy" (it comes from the ignition switch), and leave it laying there. 2) Remove the "Pink Thingy" and the little spring. 3) Throw the "Pink Thingy", and spring, in the trash. 4) Reassemble whatever was taken apart on the console. 5) Drive happy and never worry about it happening again!
Hmmm, does this really work? No replacement part needed?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes it does! Easy to try, too. Put it back together if its not to your liking. I have also eliminated the @#$% "Step-on-the-brake-to-shift" interlock. It's the little "3-sided pad" on the green coloured arm in the shifter. It's like pre-1968 all over again! Now if we can just eliminate the government-mandated, "mind-numbing" Key Chime !!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm having the Same problem but I'm not understanding whats being said in the Forum. To get my car in Reverse or Drive I removed the housing around the shifter and I have to pull back on a piece connected to the Cable. The Dealership is telling me I need a New shift Cable

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Or you could fix it RIGHT! and not worry about it again. Why don't you think for a second. There's a reason these safety features were added to cars!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having the Same problem but I'm not understanding whats being said in the Forum. To get my car in Reverse or Drive I removed the housing around the shifter and I have to pull back on a piece connected to the Cable. The Dealership is telling me I need a New shift Cable
Remove housing, look down right above the P and you will see a cable. You have to stick a screwdriver or something long and thin and carefully pull the cable to the left. While holding the cable to the left, put your car in R, N, or D. There is a certain spot to move the cable to the left so it might take a few tries. Make sure your foot is on the brake and the car is on.

This will work until you get the replacement piece, I ordered mine from the link above and came out 49.24 with shipping. I am just worried about installing it myself.

Hope this help...attached photo of cable you need to look for.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts