Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
LOL Tee and I have FOUR BT ones and never used any!!! Any body wanna buy one $40 shipped! According to Dodge only some of the magnums will have problems as the pinky things were made by TWO different vendors and IF your car is NOT on the Dealers' listing YOUR'S should NOT have to be replaced. NONE of our SIX magnums is on the list so we have FOUR we don't need! Woops!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I received my BT Part today. Putting it on tomorrow!!!!!!!
Please let me know how your install goes and what are you using as instructions/reference. The instructions on the BT site seem a bit confusing to me.

Does anyone else have a different set of instructions (hopefully with a lot of pictures) they recommend for this install?

·
Registered
30 Posts
1) Disconnect the cable that is attached to the "Pink Thingy" (it comes from the ignition switch), and leave it laying there. 2) Remove the "Pink Thingy" and the little spring. 3) Throw the "Pink Thingy", and spring, in the trash. 4) Reassemble whatever was taken apart on the console. 5) Drive happy and never worry about it happening again!
That is exactly what I did when I still had issues with it after the repair. The only thing is that the key will come out even if the car is not in park. I have a new "pink thingy that I will installing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Damn you guys saved my ass again. I took the pink thingy out, drilled a hole, ran some wire through and looped it and attached the spring. Pulled it back and forth for about 5 minutes to test it and the wire didnt weaken or budge. Put it all back together and it works beautifully. Had trouble getting it out and back into park once I put it back together but eventually it worked. Smooth as silk. Then I have my son check to make sure my reverse lights work and one bulb is out. damn....its always something.
So total price = 0$ and a whole lot of sweat. Its hot in Fresno.
Much props

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck in park....had to tow last night

What a pain! I had to tow last night. I tried the pink thing - it did nothing. The break lights work. Everything works except the gear shift. :censored:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What a pain! I had to tow last night. I tried the pink thing - it did nothing. The break lights work. Everything works except the gear shift. :censored:

That sucks...all you needed to do was the directions below. Atleast if you need to move around in the mean time it will work until you replace the piece.

The pic is on my post in the second page of this thread. I dont know how to put two quotes in one post

Remove housing, look down right above the P and you will see a cable. You have to stick a screwdriver or something long and thin and carefully pull the cable to the left. While holding the cable to the left, put your car in R, N, or D. There is a certain spot to move the cable to the left so it might take a few tries. Make sure your foot is on the brake and the car is on.

This will work until you get the replacement piece, I ordered mine from the link above and came out 49.24 with shipping. I am just worried about installing it myself.

Hope this help...attached photo of cable you need to look for.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Interesting, I see that a lot of people post the workaround as moving the cable over. In my case I stuck my finger down there an pushed in this greasy plastic peice and moved my shifter at the same time......is my issue possibly different than a broken pink thingy?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
You may have to simaltainiously step on the brake pedal while attempting to shift out of park. See my prior comments on the best solution in dealing with the "Pink Thingie" and the "Green Thingie".

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm thinking about going the cotter pin route, I got stuck in park last week or so. I've using the "work around" since. Cotter pin vs. BT replacement....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our 06 Magnum V6 with 44,000 miles just got stuck in park today! And four years ago this month when the Mag had 4400 miles the dealer installed a new shifter. Been good for four years now but locked up tight now. I tried to go to the recall thread posted here but no luck. I'll try google as to the recall and maybe our car is one of them needing done. Just want to drive it to the dealer but car is stuck in the garage ( good place if it had to stick ) but I'll try the moving the cable bit as I have the shifter chrome & black plastic surround off now and can see all around the shifter. I have AAA towing but would rather drive of course....

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is exactly what I did when I still had issues with it after the repair. The only thing is that the key will come out even if the car is not in park. I have a new "pink thingy that I will installing.
So do you have to remove the shifter out of the car to get to the "Pink thingy" and little spring? And the cotter pin deal I could do also, but need more info or a picture if anyone has one....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Chileno, I used your picture tag and advice. Just got the Mag out of park. All I did was move the cable over to the left just a bit with my finger as I stepped on the brake with the car key "on". It shifted smooth into reverse, N & drive so I can now move the car again. Just can't get over why it's worked so well until now and "Bam" no workie no more? Maybe the shift cable is worn? I'm going to the recall site to see if I can get this thing fixed for free on the dealers dime. I could still use some advice as to replacing this "Pink Thingy" with the BT or dorman part if this ever happens again. Do I need to remove the entire shifter? Looks like four 10 mm nuts are holding the whole thing in? Then just replace the pink thingy with the billet one? I'll do more searches here too guys, but thanks again for tonite with getting our Mag rolling again and any future help replacing this pain in the a** piece for the shifter....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I contacted Chrysler customer support this AM and we just may get a paid fix on this. Even though our Magnum wasn't on their recall list the fact that we had the shifter replaced 2 times under warranty and the dealer we had here was one of the ones closed by the old Chrysler helped our cause. I'll get contacted by tomorrow as to Chrysler picking up the tab at our new Chrysler dealership in town. As to the fix info, "if" I have to do this myself... I found a great step by step & pictured how to online here and in lxforums.com. As to the Dorman replacement part # 924-706 made of aluminum ( but not billet like the BT piece ) and comes with a replacement spring too. Don't know if the BT part comes with a new spring too?? Dorman part at Rock auto $20.79 but out of stock, and most , if not all, other auto supply stores are out of stock too. pretty much a $40 - $50 $$ fix after shipping if you have to do this yourself. I have carried tools always in the Magnum incase a belt or went sideways, but thanks to you guys I'll never get stuck as to the shifter anyways. So all of you here may want to purchase a replacement interlock latch wherever you can if you haven't already did the "fix". I'll let you know how it all comes out....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes they will fix it under the recall, but the "pink thingy" replacement part is back ordered to who knows when, the dealer parts desk says $7.99 for part & spring, Chrysler customer satisfaction dept tells me they know of the back order and it's a nation wide problem now but will replace entire shifter.....

21 - 40 of 51 Posts