Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Utah...I just installed my BT piece over the weekend and luckily for me, my homie knows quit a bit about cars and was able to help me out. If not, it would of probably taken me all day, but in about 1-2 hours we were done. You have to remove the entire center console, radio bezel, disconnect radio, remove ashtray, and remove the entire shifter, so it is quit a bit of work.

the BT piece does come with its own spring. The small hooked piece that the spring connects to the "pink thingy" is what breaks and the spring falls off, which you will find rolling around once you remove the shifter. You could use the same spring, but i used the one that came with the BT piece.

From what other members say...even if the dealer replaces it for you, it will be the same "pink thingy" and your Mag can get stuck in park again. I suggest getting the BT piece and have some fun taking everything apart. Plus it feels HELLA GOOD to know you did it yourself...or with the help of someone else.

Good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I replaced my Pink Thingy with the BT piece and the shifter works great except for when I try to shift manually. Before, an easy tap left and right would shift, but now its a bit harder and I need to push the shifter down and to the left or right.

I think it could be the new spring that came with the BT piece since it is bigger than the original one. Has this happened to anyone after insalling the BT piece? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I replaced my Pink Thingy with the BT piece and the shifter works great except for when I try to shift manually. Before, an easy tap left and right would shift, but now its a bit harder and I need to push the shifter down and to the left or right.

I think it could be the new spring that came with the BT piece since it is bigger than the original one. Has this happened to anyone after insalling the BT piece? Any feedback would be appreciated.
never thought of that 1... I actually got the RockAuto part and I think it came with a spring

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Does anyone know what the dealer is using to fix this? Are they using a metal piece now instead of the plastic pink thingy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jason, I have heard the replacement part is white plastic, a updated part from 2008 + for our Magnums , chargers & 300s. I'll let you guys know what happens this Friday as I get the car checked out and "fixed" ( one can only hope ). I want to see the replacement shifter myself before they put it in so I can spy the "new" part. The pink thingy replacement part is back ordered through Chrysler parts for who knows how long, that's why they want to replace the entire shifter. No biggie for me, this time anyway, as it's a recall and no $$$...

·
Registered
23 Posts
All is well now guys, just got back from the local dodge dealer. Saw my old part still in the old shifter, the Chrysler tech took it apart in front of me and there was the old spring laying there with the broken pink tab still in it's grip. New part is heavy white plastic, I was told by the tech that he has replaced a lot of these from the first of this year on, and that this new piece is a re-design. He also stated that the interlock cable is rarely ever borken or the problem. Time will tell as to how long it will hold up, but Chrysler picked up the entire tab, just cost me the gas to get there and back. I'll always carry a philips & flathead screwdriver anywhere I go in the magnum, now that I know how to get the mag out of park if it gets stuck again. The dealer even gave us some cold soda and water as we waited in the plush sofa and watched their flat screen as they fixed our car. Took all of 3/4 hour including me B.S. ing with the tech. I'd call the Chrysler customer service 1-800-853-1403 number if I were you as they may pay your entire bill on this issue even if you already paid to have this done a long time ago. Anyway just wanted to thank all in this thread for the info and great help.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Woke up and the Magnum was stuck in park, I was able to get in Drive thanks to some tips from the site so now just wondering what is the best place to get the replacement. Any suggestions?

Wow that actually just happened to me a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to have a buddy come over and show me how to put it in drive until I was able to get the shifter replaced, I had to take off the cover around the shifter and there was a little pink switch or lever I had to push then the car was able to go into drive, reverse, etc. In my opinion the best place to get a replacement is your local dealership, I brought my car in and in a few hours it came out with a brand new shifter, I paid a lot less than I expected and I felt better knowing my car was with the right people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need help! I just did the shift interlock replacement. Now I can't get my key to turn to the lock position. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2006 Magnum R/T has a cup holder cover. I am stuck trying to remove the shift assembly though. The cup holder has a cover assembly that is blocking the tail end of the unit from coming free. I cannot find a solution. It looks like the holder-cover mechanism is formed to the hump. Anyone got an idea?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts