Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently testing a new suicide hinge idea.....it will have the ability to swing open 180 degrees...it will also be one hinge per side instead of the 2 i used to have on my original suicide modification.....it is a 2-stage hinge which is how it can manage to open the door 180 degrees.....when i first suicide modification done the hinges that i first had stuck through in the wheel well. Thus, makin it very hard to drive......but since then, i have been searching and studying different hinges. i am currently trying to perfect my theory of the 2 stage hinge system....it should be done by mid january.
i'll keep you posted
Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
KGBPro said:
i am currently testing a new suicide hinge idea.....it will have the ability to swing open 180 degrees...it will also be one hinge per side instead of the 2 i used to have on my original suicide modification.....it is a 2-stage hinge which is how it can manage to open the door 180 degrees.....when i first suicide modification done the hinges that i first had stuck through in the wheel well. Thus, makin it very hard to drive......but since then, i have been searching and studying different hinges. i am currently trying to perfect my theory of the 2 stage hinge system....it should be done by mid january.
i'll keep you posted
Matt
Good luck with that but I find it difficult with the space available to make a system work... a stock hinge is about the only way I see possible not to have to go into the wheel well but even then the framing is probably in the wheel well aread

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gumby said:
Good luck with that but I find it difficult with the space available to make a system work... a stock hinge is about the only way I see possible not to have to go into the wheel well but even then the framing is probably in the wheel well aread
actually, i have found a hinge that will have the ability of supporting the door along with opening 168 degree opening...i'll hopefully have pics tomorrow of the passenger door swinging open.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
KGBPro said:
actually, i have found a hinge that will have the ability of supporting the door along with opening 168 degree opening...i'll hopefully have pics tomorrow of the passenger door swinging open.....
I dont doubt that there are hinges to support the door and open that far... I just have a hard time believing there is one that will not go into the wheel well considering the door jamb is the wheel well so any cut you make goes directly into the wheel well, unless you only cut one layer and we know a hinge wont fit in that tiny space

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gumby said:
I dont doubt that there are hinges to support the door and open that far... I just have a hard time believing there is one that will not go into the wheel well considering the door jamb is the wheel well so any cut you make goes directly into the wheel well, unless you only cut one layer and we know a hinge wont fit in that tiny space
i can positively say that this hinge will not affect the wheel well by any means
heres the temp hinge pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here you go.......a sneak peek at suicide doors at the angle of about 145 degrees still adjusting the door and figuring out how much of the back part of the door needs to be modified but....slowly but surely.....
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was a little skeptical about the wide sweeping doors but those are looking great man...nice, cant wait to see the final product

-todd-

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grinner said:
whats left of the interior right now? front seats still in it? I guess the dash is?
everything from the back of the middle console to the dash........=)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you had a great and safe xmas and new years......I know i did...... i blew up about 500 mortars,38 1/4 inch dynamite (also known as boom sticks),50 screamers, 240 1/8 pieces of dynamite (also know as sammy shots) and anything else i could get my hands on!!!!!! but that was yesterday so heres the update:
i havent been around to much becasue i was celebrating and doing the xmas new years thing but now im back yet, the Phantum is still waiting.....
cars comin along slowly but surely except for the fact that they need to redesign the hinge.......
heres what happened......on the hinge im using, at the top part of the hinge itself where it is connected with the pin and bushings, there is a plastic like spcaer that seems to not been able to hold the load. So now they are sending both hinges to a machine shop to basically weld on a tubular steel spacer and use tool steel for the pin and bushing.....BUT they cant do that JUST yet!!!! it seems that the jackasses thought it would be a great idea and mis number a certain part number.........which just so happens to be the driver side hinge that i need to finish up the door installation....aint that some shit.....so finally the body shop has gotten a hold of someone to physically go and look at the hinge...so with all that out of the way i gots till next week before any progress will be made with the hinges themselves.......as of now the doors swings almost 160 degrees.....i still have 2 more custom jobs before i can actually present the Phantum.......as soon as i get an update i'll let ya know
Matt

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Looking good! Hope you put a rope around the car when showing, seen a 300 gets its hinge bent when a 300# *&[email protected]! leaned on the door to look inside. Looks like it more of an opening than the front door. I would want it the same as the front door to make it look seminitrical(sp). When I first showed the car the suicide was what I wanted the most. But im too chicken and broke to go that route.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL yeah im about broke too with all this headache costing me......after this im not touching the car for a long time....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
KGBPro said:
after this im not touching the car for a long time....
Hmmm where have I heard that before??? Wait it was on my 3rd of 5 revisions of the stereo hahha.
Atleast I have my wish list down to 3 now, springs, painting the foglamp bezels and DVD screen for the rear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
356magnum said:
Hmmm where have I heard that before??? Wait it was on my 3rd of 5 revisions of the stereo hahha.
Atleast I have my wish list down to 3 now, springs, painting the foglamp bezels and DVD screen for the rear.
hushhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your gonna jinx me!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wish list is down to 2, just picked up a honey of a deal for a 10.2" Alpine monitor. Guess what I will be doing this weekend haha.

If I win the referal and post contests, I will be getting the Hotchkis springs from TBYRNE Motorsports. That would leave me $69 + shipping. Trying to talk Grinner and Husker in coming on over and help and do a Mod Vid. Crossing fingers, doing the hope I win dance. " I never win anything" haah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts