Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got all my parts last week and scheduled the install for tomorrow. Picked up the following:
BC Racing Coilovers with 10k springs up front
SPC front upper control arms
Mopar front lower control arms
Air Lift bags
Rear lower spring perch
Moog outer tie rod ends

Why the 10k spring up front? The 3.5L don't weight as much as a 6.1L :lmao:
I needed new ball joints in the upper control arms so I figured I may as well get the adjust-ability from the SPC set. The lower control arms bushings are split. Also found that my outer tie rod ends were bad.

As for the Air Lift bags: Camping with all my gear left me sitting low this summer. Next year I want to use my new hitch with 4 bikes on a rack. Have to keep the rear end up somehow. See this thread for more info:http://www.custommagnums.com/forums...ion-installation-questions-2.html#post1109250

So I am getting this all installed tomorrow, 10-22. Estimated cost is $1900 for the shop and 2 days. Hoping things go smoothly so I can play on the weekend.

BTW: Thanks Fireman and many others for your postings on tips and tricks for the install. I have a packet of info to help the shop do it easier.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update:
They took the day going over the parts and instructions. Cost went up to 2380 and it will be Tuesday before I get my Magnum back. :(

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
$2380 is just labor ? F that. With some basic tools and a few days off of work, you could do this yourself and save a ton of money. Then go to the shop and give em $90 for a front wheel alignment. A lil more if you need a 4 wheel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the BC Racing coilovers installed for about a week. I really like the firmer suspension. Cornering has been great. Almost no brake dive. The 10K front springs seem to be perfect for my 3.5L weight. The new suspension parts worked out perfectly to quiet the rattles in the front end. Thanks for all the help guys!!

The height adjustment is a little lower than I wanted. The shop said it would adjust again after a couple of weeks to let the springs settle. So my goal is to get the max height out of the kit.

The rear seems to be the limiter based on the many reviews I have read here and on lxfourms.com. Below is the current setting of my rear springs. There seems to be about an inch to the bottom threads. I know there needs to be at least some there to keep the spring from popping off. So how far down the base is safe?

As you can see I have the Air Lift bags installed too. Here is a better photo of the complete spring.

Sorry for the dirt but I live on a dirt street. The shop installed the valve for the Air Lift system behind the fuel door. Nice convenient spot. I will try to post a pic later of this.

Overall very happy with the upgrades.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:eek:mfg: So I am in need of some help.

I need a third party reference for Stock height of a Magnum SXT with touring suspension. I took some measurements before I dropped off the car. Unfortunately those are in question with the shop. I am hoping to get someone's stock measurements.

I don't know what height difference the Touring suspension is or if the 18" wheels with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS would also affect things.

Simply: Can someone with a stock SXT measure from the center of the wheel axel to the top of the wheel well for each wheel? Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another option: Is there a place on the vehicle where you can put a bubble level to know if the car is level? If so where? Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final report: Upgrades were installed. Shop had to correct the front end level but did a great job with the other work. Suspension no longer rattles, ride is nice and firm and not too low for winter. I'm happy.

Ended up going by fender height to tell if the car was level. Original height was 17 1/2 front, 17 inches rear (measured axel to fender). Final height is 16 inches front and rear. I am guessing that the rear end sagged from stock.

First snow today with the car and that was fun. Traction control works good even with the Diablo tune.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for the update and Congrats on getting what you want!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a photo of the valve location for the air bags. The top one is the valve. They originally had both sides connected individually. That is why there is a small cover toward the bottom. Very nice and convenient! :cool5:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts