Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3.5L SXT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to swap out my automatic for a standard trans? I’m willing to get another engine if it helps.
I’ve driven standards all my life. Army brat that grew up overseas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is not an easy swap as 3.5's never had manual transmissions. There are some work arounds, Liberty's, Nitros maybe, Dakota's. But, it takes a lot of customization.
The easiest route would be to use a Challenger setup with a full engine, 5.7 or 6.1, and 6 speed manual swap. You'll need wiring harnesses and computer. Will need to have VIN programmed into it. Not only is the engine harness different, so is the body harness, headlight to dash. Especially between V6 to V8 on any LX/LC model.
Then you'll need clutch and brake pedal setup with matching brake master cylinder reservoir. You're looking at $6000+ whether you buy pieces or the whole car. Engine is $4000 on average, trans is $2500 on average and that's only about half of what you need. Not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
3.5L SXT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying Sir,
I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. I appreciate you telling me what I’ll be getting myself into. The ultimate goal is to make manual. I’ve been looking at Different engines & transmissions to complete this. Extremely helpful.

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,181 Posts
I hate to send you over there from here but over at lxforums there are a few threads on this swap, including part numbers etc. A few guys I've seen have done it, in a Magnum and Charger. I follow a guy on Instagram that's done it. In fact, you can order from Mopar the correct tunnel part where the shifter goes. You have to weld it in. I don't have this all in front of me or I'd link it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts